tuscl

WHY, founder?

Clubber
Florida
You older fellows may recall my original avatar. I believe animation was eliminated to save bandwidth? Correct, founder? If so, why aren't they back?

14 comments

• shailynn
    8 years ago
    When SJG came along, all animated GIFs, and the ability to post photos went away. I've always said SJGs responses take up too much bandwidth and everyone else has to pay the price. Kinda like that one bad kid in class that fucks up the extra recess for everyone else. Only problem is we can't kick SJG in the head during a kick ball game in recess the next day because he doesn't come out of his mom's basement.

I heard TUSCL IT director Rech was working on a solution but as of yet he hasn't found one.
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Shitster
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    shailynn,

These days bandwidth is damn near unlimited. Don't know your age but online has come a ways from 300 baud to 90+ mbps. I used to have to think long and hard if I wanted to tie up my phone for a 12K d/l. :)
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Clubby I am well aware of cheap bandwidth, it's always a joke I say if anything to get SJG to only post 2 paragraphs to each response instead of 15. I'd probably get a better response talking to a brick wall.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    SJG just needs to adjust to the Twitter generation -- 140 characters, or less. I can live without animated Gifs of baby seals getting clubbed to death; I'd rather see Reque spending his valuable time implementing an edit feature.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    ^^^Anyone who wants to be a seal clubber should check out my favorite online game http://kingdomofloathing.com where Seal Clubber is one of six humorous character classes available to play (along with Disco Bandit, Accordion Thief, Turtle Tamer, Pastamancer and Sauceror ).

That harmless plug given, I wonder if the animated .gif in question wasn't in part why Founder pulled the plug on the gallery section. Sorry Clubber.... its an honest observation on aesthetics.

• Clubber
    8 years ago
    HGR,

I have had the same avatar since I joined TUSCL in 2000 or whenever they first started. To long ago for me to remember. The gif about 8 or more years ago. I doubt it had anything to do with any of founders decisions.
  • georgmicrodong
    8 years ago
    Bandwidth from the consumer side is cheap because you don't need very much, and what you *do* need is overwhelmingly on the download side. On the provider side however, its more expensive. Partially because providers need more than consumers overall, but largely because they need more upload that download most of the time.

Filling up his available upload with gif animations means less room for the ads that actually keep the site mostly free for the rest of us.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Clubber, you talk about 300 baud modems? I remember 150 baud modems, lol! Nothing like submitting a job, waiting a day and a half and *then* finding out you had screwed up a line of input.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    ATAC,

I was talking about personal use. At work I recall the slowest modem I worked with had a "speed" of 30 semaphores.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Hah! Guess you win, Clubber... :-)
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    My first "remote access" computer use included feeding punch cards into a reader (at an astounding rate of 250 cards per minute), the electro-mechanical reader connected to a distant computer thru a sound/data emulation telephone headset connection (vaguely similar to a modem, except I plugged the dial phone's headset into it). The response (if/when it came) was transmitted over the same system, but received by a separate teletype printer.

Man, that was the bee's knees the one time in twenty it actually worked! But on average, it was faster to mail stuff back and forth.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    ATAC,

I wonder how many even got that?
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Yeah. Back in the bad old days of punch cards we had punch card ladies who did every card twice - one who punched them and one who verified. Those ladies did a bang up job in that mind-numbing occupation.

One day, the head computer priest was opening boxes of blank cards with a box cutter knife. A couple hours later, one of the punch card ladies looked at him and asked, "John? What happened to your tie?" He looked down and saw that his tie was now square-bottomed about 14" below the neck. He looked in one of the boxes and found the other half of his tie!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion