tuscl

iPhone 7 - Buy or Pass?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
I was trying to think, I had the iPhone 4s for 1 year, 2 of the iPhone 5 for over 2 years and now I have the iPhone 6 Plus for almost 2 years. So I've been an iPhoner for a little over 5 years.

When I first got the iPhone 6 Plus I thought "man this thing is too big I made a mistake" but after a few weeks I loved it. Every time I upgraded the screen got bigger.

I'm looking over the iPhone 7 and aside from the waterproof (which I really don't need) for the first time I don't see any reason to upgrade. Plus, this is the first time my cellphone company won't be heavily subsidizing the cost of the phone. I think I bought my iPhone 6 Plus for $320 with a 2 year contract, now I would have to pay full retail or some stupid monthly installment plan.

The one thing I didn't understand yesterday was Apple paid all this money for Beats Headphones and didn't incorporate that in anyway to the new wireless headphones at their press conference.

28 comments

• 99Bitches
    8 years ago
    I have the Samsung 6 Plus. Had both Apple and Android, prefer Android. But respect you loyalists. I definitely agree that I really like the bigger screen. I, like you, thought it might be too much at first but totally love it.

Sucks that no more free upgrades exist
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I carry 2 phones and recently got the galaxy note 5, which has the exact same screen size of the iPhone 6 Plus. I used to hate android but this latest OS runs very smooth and no issues. So far I love it.

I love my iPhone but hate iTunes, all the restrictive bullshit when loading videos onto an iPad. It's tempting to jump to Samsung/Android.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    I carry 2 iPhone 6s. One for work and one for home. I don't get see a reason to upgrade. The 64GB iPhone 6 I got for free with a broken screen (used a couple weeks) and fixed it at the Apple Store for about $100. It would have been hard to justify at full retail price. So for $100 I essentially got a $850 phone at the time, no subsidy no contract needed. I have a cheap BYOD 1GB data plan that I share with the wife (she uses Android). Work gives me 5GB.

I don't get see a reason to upgrade from my 64GB iPhone 6 yet. I wished I could I have gotten the bigger "plus" model but work wouldn't spring for it and I couldn't find any really cheap ones to purchase outright where I lucked out for the standard model that I could repair. The new model 7 doesn't seem compelling since my model 6 still works ok. I don't have the same marine problem you have. But I admit iTunes is far from perfect.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Haha. My iPhone spell corrected iTunes to "marine". Odd.

Now if the iPhone 7 had better spell check .....
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    I have the galaxy s7edge and it's amazing. My little brother jumped into the pool on 4th of July and took a picture of himself completely submerged in the water, clear as day. I can pour water on my phone when I'm bored. Aesthetically, the phone also looks how a phone should look in this day and age. Very sleek.

I hate iphones and will be sticking with Samsungs for now. Iphones are not durable at all. A friend of mine dropped his on the CARPET and the screen shattered. I like ipods and macbooks but do not like apple phones.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    ^i believe it. That's what happened to the phone 6 I got. It was like his third call and he hadn't bought a case for it yet. Previous to that I had a bunch of Android devices, which I liked too, and blackberry before that. The blackberrys were indestructible.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    U don't have one. with luck I never will.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I loved blackberries. Shame they didn't think they had to worry about androids and iPhones - look at where they are now...
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    My kids gave me an Iphone 6 for Fathers Day last year. I hardly use it. So no, I am not going to upgrade.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    I used to love BlackBerry. I had one until about a year ago, actually. They can no longer compete. I dropped my first BlackBerry probably 500 times and didn't have any problems with it that I can recall.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    How can you drop a phone 500 times? Side effects of your psychiatric medication?
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I probably just because my current iPhone is nearly 1.5 years old.

Btw, skill testing question: Why is AAPL's PE so low compared to other tech companies?
  • georgmicrodong
    8 years ago
    I'll probably be upgrading. My iPhone 6 is almost two years old.
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    I like apple products just as much as I like 300 pound aids infected dancers.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    Have phones overtaken cars as a person's status symbol?
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Flagooner, not really, not in the US. It's probably still your car, your alma mater, and your ZIP code (school district). Maybe the phone is for people under 18, I suppose.
  • chessmaster
    8 years ago
    Pass.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    "How can you drop a phone 500 times? Side effects of your psychiatric medication?"

That could be one way to do it.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    I still have a flip phone.

Having to push "7" four times to get a "s" sucks, but you don't miss what you never had.
  • mrrock
    8 years ago
    Definite buy for me. I currently have the 6 Plus and will be getting the Jet black 256gb 7 Plus. Can't WAIT to order it tonight!
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I have the iPhone6S, I'm just gonna wait for the 8.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    I disagree - your phone now is your status symbol to younger people because they aren't interested in driving let alone cars.

I drive two really nice German cars. When I pull up to my brothers house the first thing his teenage kids ask is what type of phone do I have now, they could give two shits about what car I'm driving. Two of this kids have their licenses too.
  • JamesSD
    8 years ago
    Hard pass.

Wait for the iPhone 7s or whatever the slightly improved model is. They'll probably bring back the headphone jack.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    I miss the old nokias. Those things could jam a wood chipper. I dropped my iPhone from work one my driveway once and the screen shattered. I dropped my old Lumia 920 everywhere for two years, and when the screen did crack, I couldn't really see it. This new Microsoft Lumia 940 feels fragile af. I had to buy a cover to feel safe. Definitely getting an android next.
  • rl27
    8 years ago
    I've had the IPhone 3s, 4s. The first two I kept for 2 years and upgraded mostly due to performance reasons. I Skipped the 5 since other than slightly taller, I was holding out on a larger screen. By the time I replaced my 4s after 3 years it barely kept a charge. Thankfully the 6 Plus came out and I got that.

I am skipping upgrading for three reasons.
    1 - My current phone is plenty fast for what I do.
    2 - I don't like the remove of the ear phone jack. I have a perfectly good set of 10 year old Sony headphones that still work great for when I listen to music, and I also suspect I'll lose the adaptor within a month after getting the phone.
    3 - My battery is still going strong. So no reason to upgrade.
    4 - None of the features other than maybe the improved camera zoom on the 7 Plus.
    5 - Finally since the phone is no longer subsidized by my carrier, It's going to take a lot more improvements than two incremental updated to my 6 to make me switch now.
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    Nope, not an iPhone fan.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    Just heard on the news this morning that the Samsung 7 phones are having too many battery fires. Airlines are now asking that if you have Samsung 7, to not turn it on or charge it on the plane; nor will they allow it in checked baggage.
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    Clarification: These are Galaxy Note 7s
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion