tuscl

Dancers say Hustler Club stripped them of minimum wage

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Yes, this is another tired story about whether strippers are independent contractors or employees. But you have to give the New York Post some props for its headline (although not as good as their classic "Headless body found in topless bar").

http://nypost.com/2015/02/23/dancers-say…

5 comments

• Holdem2
    10 years ago
    Lawsuits like this are interesting. I feel it is dishonest for the dancers to choose to work at a place and then sue it years later.

I'd like to see some of these clubs counter-sue the dancers for income tax evasion and filing false claims. They could do that with accurate dance counts and a little record keeping.

Girls work at clubs because they can make more money their than minimum wage. Although it is possible to make under, we have all hear the stories of dancers averaging several hundred dollars per night.

Frivolous lawsuits drive up prices for everyone.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Well, this is the tired discussion. These are not frivolous lawsuits. The dancers keep winning, and they win because the stupid club owners treat them like employees, not like independent contractors.
  • Holdem2
    10 years ago
    Okay, maybe frivolous isn't the right word but you knew what i meant.

Yes, the owners are often too stupid to win these claims but the dancers are by no means innocent victims.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    The one this all of these suits have in common is that they are filed by former dancers. The system was fine for them while they were working and raking in the money but now that they are flippin burgers, they see it as a way to make some easy cash and the lawyers are always happy to join in for their 30-40%.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I agree with Shadowcat.

It is true the clubs mis-classify the dancers as independent contractors but dancers sure seem to leverage that to their advantage while they're working. They may bitch about the rules and fines, but I've yet to find a dancer that truly would want to be an hourly wage employee.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion