tuscl

Follow-up: I-94 Pile-up

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Just a follow up to the thread about the multi-car pile-up on Interstate 94 near Battle Creek, Michigan

The final count of vehicles involved stands at 193 which is higher than first reported. 133 on one side and 60 on the other. If you saw any photos, you would have guessed cars crossed the median, but police don't believe so.

In that stretch of highway there are cable barriers and it appeared they did their job although part of the investigation is to determine if the cables may have hindered rescue efforts.

The investigation is continuing, but police say people were traveling much to fast for the poor visibility and road conditions.

5 comments

• sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    That's a lot. I wonder what caused the initial accidents on bth sides?

I was thinking. That should be over 100 tickets for driving too fast for conditions. Any time you wreck or almost all the time, you can get a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. If you don't wreck, you're good unless you get stopped for speeding.
  • AnonymousJim
    10 years ago
    It would be really hard to tell who was driving too fast and who wasn't. It's perfectly plausible that you could be involved without going too fast. You're going a reasonable speed, you see stuff going down in front of you and you try to slow to a stop. That doesn't stop the person behind you, however, who's going too fast from being unable to stop and careening into you.

I can say for certain that some were going too fast, but maybe not all. Ultimately, when that stuff start to happen, there's not much you can do. Fact of the matter is, it's just really dangerous and risky to be out driving when there's that kind of weather. I've had to make lengthy trips in it and while it's possible to get from one place to another, you white-knuckle it the whole way.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    What a mess to sort out
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Hello, Prudential, GEICO, State Farm, Allstate, Elephant ......
  • jestrite50
    10 years ago
    I wonder if there were any TUSCL members headed to Detroit for extras ?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion