tuscl

Fox Sports vs. ESPN

What a difference a week makes.

I've been following USC this season (not entirely a happy journey). Several weeks ago,when they played Washington State, the game was actually broacast on a local Washington state TV station. I found it interesting because the station had local commercials and some local politics.

The past couple of weeks, watching the games on ESPN, were pure torture. This week, watched the game on Fox Sports.

The first big diference is that when Fox Sports broadcasts a game, the broadcast is about the game (with ESPN, it's all about ESPN). On Fox Sports we got frequent shots of beautiful cheerleaders, and sometimes cameras and sports reporters went in the stands to talk to spectators.

Fox Sports also pointed out that halftime on college games is now 20 minutes (I didn't know there was a change-I've always known fifteen minute halftimes).

Near the end of halftime, the cameras were in the stands and around the cheerleaders. It was like being at the game. By comparison, on ESPN, the last six minutes of halftime were about ESPN radio, talking in depth about the ACC-even though it was a Pac-10 game. ESPN also spent an inordinate amount of time in studio, sometimes talking about other sports. Fox Sports ran down the top 25, showed the Trojan band, those cheerleaders, and some USC alumni, and a little more time with the cheerleaders.

I wish every game was on Fox Sports.

2 comments

• georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    I've noticed much the same thing. If you're interested primarily in the game you're watching, with some update info about other games in progress, Fox, or one of the other broadcast networks, seems to be the way to go. If you want *lots* of information about *everything* at once, ESPN is better. I personally prefer the focused approach. I can read summaries of the other games and sports in which I'm interested later, or look it up on my phone.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I am still waiting for strip clubs to start installing 3D televisions when the new wave of 3d televisions come out that don't require those dorky glasses.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion