Why I don't go to Follies at night!

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

In Atlanta, where hip-hop rubs up against notorious strip clubs, rappers who want to make it big get their start by making it rain.

The strip club Follies, in Atlanta, is neither a dump nor a gilded pleasure palace. It could probably pass for a college bar, if not for the metal detector at the door and the never-ending parade of bare and bespangled bosoms. Inside, a narrow stage snakes around the bar, dividing the room into different sectors named for properties on the Monopoly board. “Travis Porter is right here at the end of Park Place!” the house D.J. screamed one Sunday night earlier this year, acknowledging the arrival of a young Atlanta rap trio — Ali, Strap and Quez — that has given Follies and many places like it a theme song.

“Make It Rain,” the group's 2010 hit, is one of the great hip-hop singles in recent memory, a jubilant, raw celebration of what passes for economic stimulus in these parts: tossing dollar bills into the sky without care. Among the latest generation of Atlanta rap acts, Travis Porter is probably the most promising, with a series of salacious and catchy mixtapes under its belt and a major-label debut, “From Day 1” (Porter House/RCA), that came out in May.

When they entered Follies a little after 11 p.m., the men of Travis Porter were shown to a table near the D.J. booth. They exchanged large bills for neat stacks of singles, delivered by a waitress on a cocktail tray. Each member has his own way of redistributing these dollars. For Quez — tall, lanky and antic, with a huge, toothy grin — it's to grab a stack of 100 singles with one hand, then flick them off one at a time with his thumb. Ali, with a broad face and a slight curl in his lip, is more of a loose tosser. And Strap, the most reserved of the three, with a wisp of a beard, is methodical, doling out his singles in tight, staccato bursts.

“Shorty right here, I been knowing since she was dancing in this little dance group in Decatur,” Quez said, talking about a woman, naked but for her shoes, who bent at a 90-degree angle in front of him as he rained dollars on her backside. A lot of times, he said, he can recognize the dancers from the rear.

If ya wanna read more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/t-maga…

10 comments

• vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Shucks, shadowcat, while the boys are making it rain, let's flood a dancer or to in the VIP.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Flood Vince? Does that mean what I think you driving at?
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    I always just assumed you were in bed by then shadow :P
  • carl95
    12 years ago
    You stopped one paragraph too soon. The next two sentences are my favorite of the article.

"Travis Porter’s first concert was in a strip club called Roosters, when the group members were still in their midteens; Ali’s mother was a manager there. They didn’t have money to give them, Ali said of the strippers who were dancing during their performance. “My mom gave us ones.” "
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Roosters Barn Yard was just down the street from Follies. They folded about a year ago. It was ghetto.
  • Player11
    12 years ago
    With all the money they have I would think they would head to VIP with a couple of girls.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    @Player: Why would they? In a private room, they can't show off to the entire club. They aren't there for the girls, they're there to show off how much money they have to waste. Because, you know, that's the most accurate measure of a man.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    Early bird gets his dick sucked ant that right shadow lol
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Probably, Dracula :)
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Jester - I try to be in bed by 7PM. If I am not, then I go home. :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion