tuscl

Farmerart loses another watering hole.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
PENTICTON[BC,Canada] -- A fire has destroyed several downtown Penticton businesses, including a strip club.

The report of the structure fires on Front Street and Forbes Street came in just after midnight on Sunday.

The Slack Alice's strip club, Bubblee's and the Chinese Laundry Restaurant have been destroyed despite the effort of almost two dozen firefighters.

"I don't know how it happened," said Tony Chan, who owns all three properties but leases out the Chinese Laundry Restaurant. "My heart just dropped. I don't know what to say."

Slack Alice's had been closed for renovations and was due to reopen on Tuesday. Although the owners have insurance, they have been told the buildings are a total loss.

Parking lots on both sides of the building prevented the fire from spreading even further.

Because of the age of the building, fire officials say it was a tough fire to fight.

"Everything is caved in," said Captain Tom Smith with the Penticton Fire Department. "We are trying to get the hose and water to where the actual fire is but it is burning underneath something else."

No word yet on how the fire started or whether it is suspicious.

Note: Club had one review back in June 2004.

3 comments

• Maverick100
    13 years ago
    Wow, where do you find this stuff? I had to dig through some local news to get the story.

Too bad about Slack Alice's, it had been there for 50 years. Hadn't been there since the mid 1990's but it was always fun. I don't think they ever adopted VIP dances, strictly stage shows. Nonetheless outside of Vancouver there is almost nothing for clubs in BC and this was one of the only gems left in the interior, used to host Miss Nude BC for years and a great golf party.

Don't come to BC for fun at a SC, there isn't much left here and the prices are insane for what is available...
  • bang69
    13 years ago
    Hmmm sounds like a deal gone wrong
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Never made it to this place, shadow. It is a mere 1000km drive from my farm! It is part of a sad trend in western Canada - strip clubs closing. Real estate development pressure in Vancouver and Calgary, fire in Penticton, lousy business in Edmonton and Red Deer. This makes 7 or 8 club closures in Alberta and British Columbia recently.

Whatever is a horndog like me going to do?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion