tuscl

Study Says Most Women Are Bisexual

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:30 PM
Like most women, I[author] have no shame in admitting that I find other females attractive. I have even admitted to being open to experimentation ("Of course I would sleep with Halle Berry! It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity"). For women, it's perfectly acceptable to be a little bi-curious (cue every male fantasy), and according to the latest research, it's the norm. A new study reveals that women's sexual preferences tend to be a gray area (yep, identity confusion wasn't just for those college dorm days). In fact, researchers at Boise State University found that in a group of heterosexual women, 60 percent were sexually attracted to other women, 45 percent had kissed a woman, and 50 percent had fantasies about the same sex. I fall into that 60 percent. Sometimes when I catch myself staring at a beautiful woman in the grocery store, I wonder about my own sexuality. I'm not supposed to like girls! (At least according to society.) Would I date a woman? I'm not sure, but I am attracted to the beauty of other women — and they're so much easier to understand psychologically than men. We girls form deep relationships through friendships, which some say are the basis of love. And personally I believe that emotional connection and physical attraction are linked — i.e., guys tend to get cuter in our eyes if they're genuinely nice. Experts support this view. "Women are encouraged to be emotionally close to each other," says psychology professor Elizabeth Morgan. "That provides an opportunity for intimacy and romantic feelings to develop." From talking about personal issues for hours to calling each other "lovers" (well, maybe that's just women in my generation), women's friendships are often barely distinguishable from romantic relationships. When otherwise heterosexual women fall for other women, emotional connection is usually at the core. Lisa Diamond from the University of Utah points out that many people, with the right person or under the right circumstances, are willing to consider being in a relationship with someone who falls outside their usual "type" (think: the 2001 hit comedy Kissing Jessica Stein). Does that make them bisexual? Not exactly. "You can still be heterosexual and have interests, experiences or fantasies with the same sex," says Morgan. And of course, the media plays a role in girl-on-girl attraction, only fueling the fire of our confusion. Not only have pop stars like Lady Gaga made bisexuality mainstream, but women can't help but ogle beautiful women — they are everywhere we turn. Neuroscientist Ogi Ogas, Ph.D., analyzed more than a billion web searches, half a billion search histories and millions of erotic websites and e-books, and found that women are just as likely to search for "sexy pictures of Ryan Gosling" as "sexy pictures of Jessica Alba." How about that. In addition, sexuality gets more, not less, fluid as time goes on — yet more proof that experimentation isn't just for college. In a study conducted by Diamond, the older a woman was, the more likely she was to choose "unlabeled" as her sexuality. "We have this idea that sexuality gets clearer and more defined as time goes on," says Diamond. "We consider that a sign of maturity to figure out who you are. I've seen it's really the opposite." "Women in the media are often sexualized and women constantly get the message that appearance should be important to them, so they're used to viewing women in a sexualized way," says Morgan. I wonder how much of the attraction to other women is based on appearance and messages from the media, and how much of it authentic and genuine. Should we even try to distinguish between the two? What do you think about this study? Have you ever been attracted to another woman? Written by Jessica Cruel for YourTango. Note: I have personally found this to be true of many strippers.

9 comments

• georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    In other news, water is wet, the sun is hot, and men are pigs.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    "Note: I have personally found this to be true of many strippers" I find it interesting that an actual academic study validated this. Like shadowcat says, anyone who has spent much in strip clubs already knows this....even if they "fake" it as part of the show and are not truly lesbians or bi, the mere act of be able to do something with another woman bears this out. Could a straight male even fake it with another guy? I doubt it. And if you've seen any of the Girls Gone Wild videos, it does seem like a lot of women are at least bi-curious.
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    Never been into other girls. Sure, I can think "that woman is very beautiful," but that doesn't mean I suddenly want to fuck her.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    You mean study says most women are selectively gay (when they don't want to fuck)
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    I love studies.
  • lopaw
    13 years ago
    In the club I don't care if they are gay, bi or straight in real life....as long as they ACT gay during the time that they are with me, I'm a happy girl ;). And FWIW, most of the dancers that I have met over the years claim to be either bi or bi-curious. Some have met me OTC to prove it :p
  • smokeshopjoe
    13 years ago
    Shit my bitch told me she is bi sure it took her 7 years to admit it (not that it was really a shocker when she let that cat out of the bag)
  • HonestT
    13 years ago
    "...and they're so much easier to understand psychologically than men..." This is the most ridiculous, self-serving line of crap I've ever heard to justify liking women. That's right up there with, "if women ran the world there would be no war!"
  • looneylarry
    13 years ago
    I don't really care, so long as I can watch.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion