tuscl

Tucson Raises Age of Nude Adult Entertainers From 18 to 21

TUCSON, Ariz.—Despite protests by adult performers during the meeting, the Tucson City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to increase the age for adult entertainers at fully nude establishments from 18 to 21 years old. Oddly enough, Tucson has only one fully nude adult entertainment business, the Bunny Ranch.

According to the Arizona Daily Star, an assistant manager and several other employees from the Bunny Ranch said the decision discriminates against women's equal opportunity employment rights.

"This is a women's rights thing. It's discriminatory against their rights and our business," said 23-year-old assistant manager Marcus Richardson. "I don't understand why the city would pass this and possibly lose another business."

The move by the council, which takes effect Jan. 1, will have an immediate impact on the Bunny Ranch, which features more than a dozen performers, only two of whom are 21 or over, according to 19-year-old employee Kiernan Hinks, who told the Star she has another part-time job but needs the Bunny Ranch gig to pay for school.

“Richardson said he was unsure whether the Bunny Ranch owners and manager would consider applying for a liquor license, which would set the employee minimum age to 19,” reported the Star. “A liquor license would also prohibit full nudity inside the business.”

The ordinance also requires age verification when a person applies for an adult entertainment employee license.
http://business.avn.com/articles/legal/T…
Dec 22nd, 2010

9 comments

• Prim0
    14 years ago
    Another case of dogooders sticking their noses where they don't belong. I think that the drinking age should be moved down to 18 also. It doesn't seem fair to allow an "adult" to do some things and not others.
  • mjx01
    14 years ago
    Sucks for Tucson. I could understand the argument for it being 21 and also serve alcohol. I hope they fight it. ACLU maybe?
  • deogol
    14 years ago
    ACLU fighting this... LOL. Oh man, thanks for starting my day with a laugh.
  • kansasgent
    14 years ago
    Do you want to bet that the composition of the city council are Republican and "Business Friendly?"
  • deogol
    14 years ago
    It's the strippers who are gonna have to fight this one. Creating an age requirement upon legal adults for work? That one is way out of line prima facia. But, we do live in a growing nanny government country.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Did they have a problem with 16 and 17 year olds slipping through an age check and working at the Bunny Ranch. Sometimes these laws are passed to keep out those below age 18 on the theory that it might be hard to tell the difference between 16 and 18, but 16 can't pass for 21.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    Lets focus on the real issues: like how are we going keep the dollar from only being worth a nickel in the world market.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Lets focus on the real issue: where to find hot 18-19 year old strippers.
  • EarlTee
    14 years ago
    "Richardson said he was unsure whether the Bunny Ranch owners and manager would consider applying for a liquor license, which would set the employee minimum age to 19." You can be 19 and show your tits to drunk guys, but you have to be 21 to show your pussy to sober guys. That's a weird one to have to defend.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion