tuscl

Ex-Playboy model convicted of murder dies in Oregon

Monday, November 22, 2010 10:21 PM
Dudester-What isn't mentioned in this story was that Bambi was a Marine. She was the outgoing Sergeant of the Guard as I was the incoming Corporal of the Guard at 29 Palms. The Corps showed her the door for posing in Playboy. Later I identified with her as I knew what it was like to work in a corrupt Police Department (she was framed-accepted a guilty plea-time served) to spend time with her terminally ill father-who died at the same time as my stepfather. A former Milwaukee police officer and Playboy Club model who gained national notoriety after she was convicted of murder and then escaped from prison has died in Oregon. Lawrencia (Laurie) Bambi Bembenek was 52. Bembenek was convicted in 1982 of fatally shooting her police detective husband's ex-wife and sentenced to life in prison. She escaped in 1990 and fled to Canada. Supporters cheered her flight, selling "Run Bambi Run" T-shirts and bumper stickers. Bembenek was captured but later released after pleading no contest to second-degree murder. Her story was made into a TV movie starring Tatum O'Neal. Bembenek's attorney Mary Woehrer says she died Saturday at a hospicecare center in Portland, Ore. Woehrer says the cause of death was liver failure.

1 comment

• samsung1
    14 years ago
    Interesting what a small world we live in
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion