tuscl

Bouncer charged in death of SC strip club patron

Here is an update from a news story posted a few weeks ago.
GREENVILLE, S.C. --
A bouncer at a South Carolina strip club is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of a patron.

Greenville County deputies say 31-year-old Jason Alan Purcell was arrested on Thursday.

Investigators say Purcell grabbed 36-year-old Joseph Collura of Moore around the neck after a fight at the club in March.

Authorities say Collura's feet were off the ground as Purcell and other employees dragged him out of Platinum Plus.

Once outside, investigators say Collura started having trouble breathing. He died a short time later at a hospital.

An autopsy found Collura's neck was compressed, cutting off his breathing.

Purcell was awaiting a bond hearing at the Greenville County jail. It wasn't immediately clear if he had an attorney.
May. 06, 2010

http://www.lakewyliepilot.com/2010/05/06…

12 comments

• sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I thought this was coming sooner or later as soon as they ruled it a homicide. I don't understand why the bouncers would get so worked up over a guy's id when he was clearly older than 21. I wasn't there so I don't know how things happened.
  • kalel15
    14 years ago
    To make it worse, bond was denied.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    My brother won six fights in a row with just a single punch. In my last fight, six years ago, I knocked a guy on his ass in less than a second.

When blessed with a gift, if you don't use it wisely, you'll end up paying for it.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Damn, didn't these guys see "Road House?"

"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucket, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    What if he calls my mom a whore?
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    Clubber says: What if he calls my mom a whore?

Don't know your level of experience and training. If you've been in over 5,000 fights, like me, not a smart move.

Train the kodokan way. Learn meditation, and self defense.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Is she?
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    thanks kalel15 for the update on it.
  • rickdugan
    14 years ago
    I have mixed feelings about this. It is no doubt tragic that the guy died. However, it was not like he was an innocent bystander caught up in some crap - he went in and started trouble when they tried to ID him. If he didn't want to show his ID he should have just walked away. Instead he had to be "helped" out.

I do agree that a choke hold when there were two bouncers involved was a bit excessive, but the beligerence of this guy has to be taken into account.
  • kalel15
    14 years ago
    No problem samsung. I live in the area and its been on every newscast since he was charged. Even had quotes from the dead guys wife. Oddly enough they didn't ask what she thought of her late husbands sc activities.
  • Ironcat
    14 years ago
    PP is my "home" club and I have been going there regularly since it opened. The bouncers never seemed to be overly aggressive here. I just think the guy charged made a bad choice. If the guy refused to leave they should have called the police (I bet threatening to do so would have made the patron think twice). Unfortunately only bad can come from this - the law may target PP and try to shut it down like they did in Memphis.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I think the only laws that may or should be changed would be not asking for ID's if the individual looks obviously older than 21 and better instructions for bouncers and security personnel on how to handle disagreeable patrons.

I remember when I was a teenager you could easily get beer without an ID. Now you can get killed if you don't show your ID but you're obviously older than 21.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion