tuscl

Taxi kickbacks

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
I watched the video of the manager on the BaddaBing site in LV talking about the kickbacks from taxi drivers. Does this go on in other major U.S. cities popular as tourist destinations or is this a LV problem?

5 comments

• txtittyfan
    15 years ago
    I have never noticed it in my travels. LV is unique becaise a lot of out of towners do not rent cars and the clubs are competitive.
  • londonguy
    15 years ago
    What I can't understand txtittyfan is that last year I arrived by rental car to the clubs I visited, I didn't realise and/or forgot a free limo was available. They still wouldn't let me in without paying the same cover as if i'd arrived by taxi? I have read that the taxi driver are getting up to $30 per customer - that adds up to big money!
  • txtittyfan
    15 years ago
    I have not been to LV in over 3 years. However, from what I have read here and elsewhere is that locals pay no cover, out of towners do. Maybe someone else has more info on this. In my visits in the past, I do not recall paying more than 5-10 in a cover.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    londonguy, I have heard the taxi kickbacks are much higher than $30.
    "The suit says the practice of diversion hurts the tourism industry because many drivers are so busy chasing club kickbacks — the suit alleges that they are as high as $100 a customer — that other people can’t get rides."
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jun…
    I remember reading in some reviews that Spearmint Rhino charges $50 cover if you arrive via taxi (that $50 cover includes 2 drink tickets).

Here in Columbus, OH a few clubs offer shuttle service but I am not aware of taxi kickbacks. Also some clubs let you in for free if you show a hotel key room.
  • curiousgeorgefun
    15 years ago
    Vegas it is common practice for clubs to pay the fairs + your cover charge, for cabs bring patrons to their clubs. Drivers tend to 'recommend' clubs with better reimbursment. Do your homework on sites like this one for recommendations. Ive seen it in other cities as well, ask. The 'trick' don't tell the cab driver you have a coupon from a magazine (all over vegas) or the internet for free entry (no cover). The cab driver usually gets only his fair a buck or two, which isn't worth it. I don't give a sh#t about a cabbie who would steer guys toward a place that benefits the driver and not the patron anyway, screw-em'.

NOTE about Vegas: I stopped posting to another strip club list review site because the club owner had my honest review erased twice, then me banned just for a negative review of a truly bad dive. When sites answer to clubs who 'advertise' or are paying for 'premium memberships' how can anyone truly believe that the site is unbias. For that matter NBC/CBS/ABC/CNN/etc... sorry about the tangent...

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion