tuscl

Beloved Tigers star, Hall of Famer Al Kaline dies at 85

joker44
In the wind
Kaline, the Hall of Fame outfielder who played his entire 22-season career for Detroit, died Monday at his home in Michigan. “Mr. Tiger” — as he was affectionately known — was 85. No cause of death was given.

Kaline was the youngest player to win the American League batting title in 1955 at age 20 with a .340 average. The right fielder was an All-Star in 15 seasons and won 10 Gold Gloves. The beloved No. 6 later sat behind a microphone as a Tigers broadcaster and was a special assistant to the general manager.

Kaline was elected into the Hall of Fame in 1980 in his first year of eligibility.

“There have been a lot of great defensive players. The fella who could do everything is Al Kaline,” Baltimore Orioles Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson once said. “He was just the epitome of what a great outfielder is all about — great speed, catches the ball and throws the ball well.”

Kaline finished his career with 3,007 hits and 399 home runs (what would have been No. 400 was lost to a rainout). He scored 1,622 runs and had 1,582 RBIs. He got his 3,000th hit back in Baltimore, slicing a double down the right field line in September 1974, his final season.

https://apnews.com/988987423356b92108a62…

4 comments

• jackslash
    4 years ago
    RIP
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    While driving yesterday was listening to a radio re-broadcast of the Giants-Tigers World Series game 4. Giants broadcaster Mike Krukow (former pitcher) was talking on air about Kaline who was broadcasting in booth next door. Said Kaline was in great shape his entire playing career, could have played a few more years beyond the 22 years Kaline played, and that Kaline still was still in great shape (2012, at that time).
  • DrStab
    4 years ago
    Kaline is one guy I’d never expect to run into at Bogart’s.
  • SuperDude
    4 years ago
    I have great memories of seeing him play right field while I was sitting in the bleachers at Briggs Stadium. Bleacher seats were 50 cents, later raised to 75 cents. Bus fare from my home to the Corner was 25 cents each way. The Linwood bus stopped at the bleacher entrance. So I mowed some lawns or washed windows and got my money for a day double header, complete with hot dogs. He would move under the ball and catch it before the fans could find the arc. Oh, he could hit too.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion