tuscl

Agree or disagree with trump tariffs?

I believe Trump should be willing to compromise with Canada. Tariffs on timber or wood I read are causing Americans thousands in higher home costs and some aren't able to afford the higher prices and are losing out on homes. It might be all over Canada milk subsidies which there is zero chance they will budge on I heard from a shark tank Canadain. Make a deal with Canada.

I heard trade with China could become an actual trade war possibly having to up tariffs to 100% or higher. Not good for trade. This trade dispute is helping China devalue their currency against the dollar and sell more elsewhere. American people and businesses seem to be caught in the crosshairs. I hope Trump hasn't misread others wrong. What do you think? Big clustefuck with all the tariffs or just temporary negotiation tactics after decades of poor trade deals? I think we are all hoping for new trade deals to end Trump tariffs if it affects anyone individually.

28 comments

• GeneraI
    6 years ago
    Everthing with Trump is part of a negotiation. He goes to the extreme, so when they meet in the middle we still end up with more than half. Every country needs the US, Trump just needs to sell that we don't need them.
  • Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    I don't talk religion or politics
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    You may think that Trump is an asshole, and he probably is. BUT ..... he is a excellent negotiator ! Remember The Wall ? Now we have a trade deal with Mexico.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    War is never good - I'm not educated w.r.t the current trade deals but if we're unfairly getting fucked by another country then it's good someone is standing up against them - but again I'm not educated enough to know if the current war-path is worth it
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    The trade map is being redrawn for the first time since post WW II. It’s overdue. The current trade system favored other countries to help them rebuild. Mission accomplished.

The end game is two fold
    1. Reciprocal trade with every developed country
    2. Force China to play by the rules

The path to this is going to be bumpy and take years. It’s a necessary step that should have been done 40 years ago. Finally, we have a President who is willing to put in the effort needed.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    We’ll see. Last time this stuff got started it didn’t end well, it took a world war to get our economy back on track, I doubt very much that this will end in a world war, but we’ll see.
  • WILLYSGOTAWOMAN
    6 years ago
    Trump is the first president who I believe should be discussed on this site. His immigration policies are terrible for the SC community. Immigrants are the bread and butter of many SCs. And he signed the bill that shut down backpage. I never used backpage. But that's still Horse Shit.

• mark94
    6 years ago
    FOSTA had 174 co-sponsores in Congress including Reps and Dems. Blame the hypocrite swamp.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Obama spent his presidency doing what he thought was best for the international community, often to out detriment.

Trump unapologetically focuses on pursuing policies that are good for Americans and gets shit for it from the libtards and media.

The Canadian PM says that a treaty will only be signed if it is good for Canadians and receives plaudits.

WTF??? Do the lefties really want us to come down a few rungs? Makes no sense to me. If not, it shows that most Trump criticism is due to personal animosity and not based on policy.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    our detriment, not out detriment.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Too early to tell.

I would have preferred negotiation first, if that doesn't work hit them with a stick.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    I was assured by the media that the Whitehouse was in complete chaos. How is this possible ?........

President Trump, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and House Speaker Paul Ryan have teamed up this summer to do something that hasn’t happened in two decades — write and pass department spending bills instead of lumping everything into a massive package.

The House and Senate are moving at a brisk pace to pass the appropriations bills, with the Senate leading, approving nine of 12.

What’s more, the Trump administration has pushed through key priorities on wall and Pentagon spending, as well as curbing wasteful programs, though still ending up with a more expensive budget than they wanted by over $50 billion.

And while Congress has taken the votes, many on Capitol Hill are giving Trump and his team the credit for breaking the 20-year log jam. They cite his refusal to sign another massive “omnibus” spending bill that ignored his priorities, even if it means shutting down the government.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    Incredible anonymous editorial about Trump's competence and sanity :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes…
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    More chaos and incompetence from the Trump Whitehouse:

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits dropped 10,000 to 203,000 for the week ended Sept. 1, the lowest level since December 1969.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^Unemployment claims always drop in September nothing new here.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    twentyfive that might be true but since they were already as low as they have been in over a decade a drop to a lower number is significant.

As a rule I do my best to stay out of politics and overall my track record since I've voted is split along party lines but I'll repeat a couple of things I have said before

Trump would not have been my first, second, third or even fourth choice but he was my 2nd to last choice.

The democrats for the better part of a decade made sure something like him being elected was going to happen and do did the Coast media ( meaning NY/DC/LA) by being the biased turds they have been and continuing to prove they are over the last couple of years.

There are some good things happening because of this administration aside from the Reality TV freak show it has become.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Warrenboy that wasn’t intended as bashing Trump, that was targeted at Mark who has an uncanny knack for stringing totally in related events into his narrative of how great he’s doing, as far as the tarriffs are concerned that is evidence of this administration being biased against the little guys,the big mfgs that can afford alternative sourcing are just fine, it’s the small guys like my friend who manufactures trailer frames, that don’t have 30-50 million to build find a new source of fabrication. The big guys will just shift production to places that aren’t tariffed the jobs report won’t have that for at least 6 months, till they burn through their intentionally ordered overstocks. But when that occurs I am sure there will be some problems.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    ".....has an uncanny knack for stringing totally in related events into his narrative......"

This seems to be the board motto as of late.

Small business always gets lumped in with big business regardless of who is in office. I can't count the number of times Obama made some dumb ass comment that made sense if he would have pinpointed the Fortune 1000 but was clueless when it came to people like your friend or me.

And to be fair the same applies to Bush Jr.

And to Clinton.

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^You know, that I agree with all of the above, problem we have here is some folks think that it really means something, I worry about these nincompoops, and often wonder if they are capable of finding their ass with a map and a flashlight.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    Even more chaos and incompetence from Trump:

U.S. small business optimism surged to a record in August as the tax cuts and deregulation efforts of President Donald Trump and the Republican-led Congress led to more sales, hiring and investment, according to a survey by the National Federation of Independent Business.

The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index jumped to 108.8 last month, the highest level ever recorded in the survey's 45-year history and above the previous record of 108 in 1983, set during the second year of Ronald Reagan's presidency. The August figure was up from a 107.9 reading in July.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    Any negotiation to fruition is a compromise.

mark,

Keep the "chaos and incompetence" coming!
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    I agree President Trump should keep them coming. It's a process and a work in progress.
    If anything some of his base (e.g., working class moderates) will appreciate some attempts being done. They're used to being ignored, politically. Even if it doesn't work out, causes some pain & readjustments, etc. It's probably big to that group that someone is listening to him and should re-cement Trump & Pence in 2020.

No I don't think the jobs are coming back, nor are there going to be more manufacturing plants with union wages or more mining of coal. but some of the deals were probably old from when nations were rebuilding after the war and are due to be reexamined. Now is a good a time as any.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    There is massive capital spending going on, so I think a lot of manufacturing plants will be opening. But, these will be modern automated plants. Rather than 1,000 jobs making $50,000 there will be 200 jobs making $100,000. Still, that’s better than nothing. And, the people making $100,000 will be spending money, generating service jobs.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Good for those 200 people (I hope to be one of those). Bleak for the 900 of the 1,000 that couldn't adapt. But that's competition and life. Still a win.

Mark, do you suggest relocating for a job? Or do you ever try to live in two places (like a flop couch, then commute home like 10 hrs on the weekends?) I think you retired early so maybe you never have to thing about that. Thanks.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Not even interested in this subject any more but if you got a chance to watch Trumps statement on the the hurricane Pence looks like Nancy Reagan stareing at her beloved Ronnie.
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    All my family is from a mill town. At one time, every household had at least one person working in the mill.

The mills are all closed, but plenty of light manufacturing has taken its place. Other businesses have moved in. Health care mostly but also a diverse range of services. It’s a much healthier environment, both literally and figuratively. All my cousins and their kids make decent livings ( plumbers, electricians, teachers, nurses).

These modern manufacturing plants can serve as the anchor for this type of community revival.
  • _Constantine_
    6 years ago
    Steel tariffs against China didn’t matter.

Greedy US Steel mills like US and AK Steel marked up prices immediately
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    What do you think is going to happen when the raw material these small mfgs use starts going up in price, the big mfgs will just re-source from somewhere where there are no tarriffs, how about the small guys that don’t have the resources, get real @ Mark94 you just are a part of an echo chamber, and a shill for this administration.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion