tuscl

Read the last sentence.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – A 75-year-old man who authorities say promoted prostitution at his Portland strip clubs has pleaded guilty to federal charges, but is expected to be out of prison by the end of the month.

Lawrence Owen pleaded guilty Wednesday to conspiring to defraud the Internal Revenue Service and conspiring to use an interstate facility to promote prostitution.

U.S. District Judge Michael Simon sentenced Owen to 2 { years in prison. Owen has been behind bars since he was arrested at the U.S.-Mexico border more than two years ago. With credit for time served, he is expected to be free in two weeks.

Owen operated more than a dozen adult-themed businesses, mostly strip clubs. Prosecutors say they served as fronts for a sprawling prostitution ring.

Defense attorney Noel Grefenson sought a lenient sentence, saying his client is in poor health and wants to be with his 7-year-old daughter.

6 comments

• san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Of concern. But I also don't feel we have real insight into this. How did this prostitution ring work, and how much do the authorities really know about it. And notice this is being resolved by a guilty plea, not a jury trial. Still comes across as completely opaque to me. More concerned about LE and what is really motivating it.

SJG
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    He was probably a free public defender.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Our justice system is adversarial. This does not mean clobbering someone with so many charges that they cave in and plead guilty. It means both sides putting on their case and the jury deciding. So I withhold judgment on this man. How much does he really have to do with any prostitution ring, and how do we know so. When cases are settled by pleas, no evidence really comes into the public view.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    I assume the 7 y/o daughter is probably from banging a stripper.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    But there is far more that we don't know than that we know. This is all source journalism from LE, since his case was resolved by a guilty plea, and not a trial.

SJG
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    I moved to Puerto Rico
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion