tuscl

RIP: Kenny Stabler

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
I just learned of the passing of former Oakland Raider Quarteback Kenny "The Snake" Stabler. He was only 69

It's probably odd for a Midwestern boy to like the Raiders, but I watched the NFL (then NFC after the merger) in the early game. I watched the Bears and the Lions in the awful Black & Blue Centrsl division where scores were routinely like 13-6

The the west coast AFL game came on later at 4. More times than not, it seemed the Oakland Raiders played. Oakland vs Kansas City -- Classic.

Entirely a different kind of football. They passed the ball downfield. The QB scrambled running left then right then winging the ball downfield for a complete pass. That was exciting football. High scoring. Come from behind games.

And did I ever love Stabler. He smoked, he drank, he gambled. He was one tough sumbitch that played at Alabama. He was probably my favorite football player of all time. He wasn't Brady or Manning or Marino but he was one fucking tough football player

I am sad tonight. And I miss SlickSlic. He was a fellow Raider fan.

RIP Mr. Stabler

8 comments

• motorhead
    9 years ago
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Moto ,those were the days when football was football.Today it is more like synchronized swimming.R.I.P. Mr Stabler
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Stabler was a real competitor, and this is why I always hated him and the Raiders....The Holy Roller...3 major infractions on one play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1SeAjv…
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Raiders!!! I'm too young to remember Stabler, but I know he is legend in my house hold.
  • tobala
    9 years ago
    As a lifelong Alabama fan I'm sad to hear that. Up until a couple of years ago he was doing commentary on the Crimson Tide Radio Network. After after highly publicized DUI, they let him go. RIP Snake.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Coming from a Gamecock fan,"Roll Tide".Can't wait to hear "Sandstorm from the"Cockpit".
  • TheeOSU
    9 years ago
    back in the day Oakland was my second favorite nfl team behind the browns.
    stabler and biletnikoff among others on offense and villipiano, and the late great alzado and matuszak on defense, loved those guys except when they played the browns.
    sorry to hear about stabler.
  • DoctorPhil
    9 years ago
    Once when asked about his divorces he reasoned, "All I wanna do is drive around in my truck and drink Jack Daniels... and they just don't understand."
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion