tuscl

Say what?

Clubber
Florida
I saw the following quote in a website of WSVN in Miami. It was about street monitoring cameras. "The upgrade costs $700,000 in federal funds and does not come from taxpayer money." Now where does the federal government get any money that doesn't come from taxpayers?

11 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Yeah – I saw that report/newscast – it’s about them adding a whole bunch of street cameras for LE to monitor the city.

I understand your point; but I think what they meant to say was that the $$$ was coming from the feds and not from the local taxes.

• warhawks
    10 years ago

Yeah. I'd guwas that is coming from our federal income tax money. Vs coming from your state income tax or sales tax or property taxes.

On another note, Im always amazed that government entities can use our tax dollars to advertise commercials for themselves. For example, the post office advertises all over the place. And I can't tell you how many Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine etc commercials I've seen over and over and over again on sporting events on TV or on billboards, etc.
    Seems like they shouldn't be able to use our tax dollars for things like that... But they do.
  • Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    Yeah, that statement is a way to keep up the pretense that it's "other" taxpayers paying, not you (Oh, and: the US Federal Government ends up sending MORE money TO Florida, when you add up all expenditures and transfers, than what it gets FROM the people of Florida in taxes. So there's a tiny germ of truth)

And, warhawks, actually the Postal Service does not advertise with tax dollars. After they were turned from a Cabinet Department into a government-owned corporation c. 1970, they became mandated to pay-as-they-go from what they charge customers.

And military recruitment in a volunteer force kind of requires advertising. Even in 1917 he "I Want YOU" poster was not just decorative art.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Papi,

Could be their point, but no matter where it came from, it is taxpayer money.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Cheo,

RE: Postal Service

If they were a real corporation, they'd be bankrupt and out of business years ago. Wonder where the money comes from that keeps them afloat?
  • Holdem2
    10 years ago
    Obamacare.....
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Clubber,

If they were a real corporation they wouldn't have to get congressional approval to do anything. They also wouldn't have to make some of the ridiculous pre-payments. The money they that keeps them "afloat"? They borrow it.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    jester,

From where? Who in their right mind would loan a "company" money that LOST $15.9 BILLION last year alone?
  • etsutwigg222
    10 years ago
    WASHINGTON DIP WADS!!!!!!!! That is who. They have no idea of what making money requires.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    Government just prints whatever money it needs. No downsides to that approach.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    JS69,

"Government just prints whatever money it needs. No downsides to that approach."

Give me a call. I have some nice land for sale SW of Miami. Cheap and dry!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion