tuscl

EEOC sues Mississippi strip club, claims discrimination against black dancers

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:38 PM
JACKSON, Mississippi -- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has filed a federal lawsuit against a Mississippi strip club that it says discriminated against black dancers. The lawsuit alleges that Danny's Cabaret in Jackson forced black dancers to work less lucrative shifts than whites, subjected them to arbitrary fees and fines and excluded them from advertisements promoting the company. Danny's, which bills itself as the largest adult entertainment club in Mississippi and the oldest such chain in the state, had no immediate comment. The lawsuit was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Jackson on behalf of Sherida Edwards and three unnamed women the EEOC said faced similar discrimination They are considered class members to the lawsuit. The lawsuit also said Danny's retaliated against the four women one of them filed a complaint with the EEOC in April 2011, allegedly by reducing their work hours and subjecting them to fines and disrespect. Danny's pressured Edwards to withdraw her EEOC complaint, cut her hours and forced her to compete for dancing slots, the lawsuit said. The company also maintained schedules only for black women and forced one of them to compete with Edwards for a dancing slot on the "Black shift," the lawsuit said. The working conditions for Edwards became so intolerable that she was "constructively discharged" -- in effect, forced to quit -- on July 4, 2011, according to the lawsuit. The lawsuit seeks back pay and punitive damages and for the women to be reinstated to the jobs they had before the complaint was filed. "Discrimination against American employees is unlawful, no matter what kind of business it is. The EEOC will not leave employees unprotected against illegal misconduct because of the nature of their jobs," Delner Franklin-Thomas, an EEOC district director in Birmingham, Ala., said in a news release.

9 comments

• deogol
    12 years ago
    Probably got a case.
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    Being a connoisseur of black dancers, I have often heard many of them complain about many clubs hiring very few if any black dancers – and the ones that did had a small quota on how many they would hire and what kind of look they needed to have (i.e. they could not look “too black”).
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    There is a fixed quota on Black dancers in most Detroit clubs. If a customer wears a hoodie, he will be refused entry at the door. It's happened to me and, at 66, I'm too old to be a thug. Nothing new here. Just sad that this stuff still goes on.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    Too bad discrimination occurs. I also enjoy VIP Room encounters with real sexy Black Dancers. Especially Spinners.
  • Book Guy
    12 years ago
    I think the illegal act was that Danny's claimed to be an adult entertainment venue at all.
  • Longneck
    12 years ago
    Sadly, the sex industry has always been teeming with racism.
  • Estafador
    12 years ago
    and people say "we're not racist anymore". BULLSHIT. They just can't handle being pointed out.
  • JohnBuford
    12 years ago
    Let the free marketplace dictate who makes money and who doesn't.If the customers are not interested in (fill in the blank) type dancers than they will not make money and will move on to another club or another industry.This is how it should be.When I go to a club I am attracted to ethnic looking dancers.I discriminate against the blonde/blue "Barbie" types.That's my choice.But it should be a level playing field for everyone.
  • 10inches
    12 years ago
    exactly how do you figure "back pay" on a job that is usually for tips only?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion