tuscl

San Antonio TX - 2AMer

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
SAN ANTONIO -
A South Side strip club's bouncer was fatally shot early Thursday after an unwelcome customer was thrown out of the establishment and then returned with a gun, police said.

Frank Bernard Lurati Jr., 24, was shot twice around midnight at the MVP Club in the 3700 block of Roosevelt.

Lurati's family said he had only been working at the club for two weeks, and they didn't want him to work there.

"He was looking for a job and nothing was panning out the way that he wanted it to, and taking the job at the club was really just a last resort for him, because he knew he needed the income to come in," Lurati's sister, Tanya Gutierrez, said.

She said he needed the money to take care of his three kids.

"It's unfortunate that young people like my brother have to go that route to make a living and end up potentially losing their life because of it," Gutierrez said.

Police say a customer believed to be in his mid-20s got into an argument with Lurati, then left the club saying he'd be back.

Twenty minutes later, the man returned and opened fire, hitting Lurati once in the chest and once in the groin.

People at the club say the shooter was a regular, and he was also tossed out two weeks ago.

"For someone to just be vengeful and just have this grudge against him and just kill him for no reason, it's just really hard right now," Gutierrez said.

Police collected a beer can from the club that might give them more information about the shooter's identity.

Lurati's family has set up a memorial fund in his name to help cover funeral expenses.

8 comments

• deogol
    12 years ago
    At the club I frequented, the bouncers always used speaking and "crowding them out the door" I guess is the best way to describe it when the intimidation factor didn't work. They rarely had problems. They also were not complete dicks like some other places (not strip clubs) I have been. If they asked ya they explained why they were asking.

For example, once I stood in front of the DJ's window (not thinking and a newbie.) One simply came up and asked me "Would you move so the DJ can see if the girls are coming or going on the stage?" A request and a reason. It is pretty hard to start a fight over that. They could have went into a security force and made better money if ya ask me.

At a drinking bar, some bouncer came up and told my friend to move for no reason - looked mostly like application of authority than anything reasonable. I believed it was. I was ex-military (as well my friends) and certainly willing to take some bruisin to give some bruisin - especially since I didn't have to worry about MPs anymore.

This bouncer who got shot sounded new, probably had no training other than being "a tough guy" - and I am betting he handled the situation with the wrong guy most definitely the wrong way. I think a lot of security at strip clubs are bruisers who shoot their mouths off and throw people around. Ya can't do that these days.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    RIP Mr Lurati.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    "Police collected a beer can from the club that might give them more information about the shooter's identity."

Earlier in the article the shooter was described as " a regular".

That made me stop and think - although I could also be descibed as a regular in a couple of different clubs, I don't think I could be identified either, at least in one of the clubs. A dancer in one of the clubs knows my real name and town but none of the current dancers in the other club knows me. I guess if they wanted to track down some retired girls who might turn me in ..,
  • steve229
    12 years ago

I wonder how strip club bouncer compares to other dangerous professions. They seem to get shot a lot.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    I've run into some asshole bouncers but never at a strip club. SC bouncers usually welcome me to the club and wish me a good night, and that's the extent of my interaction with them.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    I tend to find strip club bouncers having actual duties. Where as bouncers at bars often have no designated job other than check ID's. Thus they get bored and try to do more than they should.
  • Rod8432
    12 years ago
    re: "It's unfortunate that young people like my brother have to go that route to make a living and end up potentially losing their life because of it," Gutierrez said.

How come nobody makes a similar statement about some poor schmuck who gets robbed/gunned down while working at an all night liquor store, convenient mart, or hell, even guarding the door at a concert or sports venue? Lurati's sister doesn't get it. He didn't "have" to do anything; he chose to work there. And where did the three kids come from? Clearly he had something to do with creating a giant sucking sound on whatever income he did bring in.

It just frosts me how when somebody experiences a bad outcome while at a strip club, the auto-inference is somehow the SC is to blame. Let's put the blame where it belongs - on the guy (and there are many out there) who figures the best way to resolve a dispute is to bring a gun to the party. I'm with Che, may he fry on earth before burning in hell.
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    End up potentially losing their life?

Something about that doesn't sound right.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion