tuscl

The Musician Asks:

This morning, I was jamming to some serious tunes on the radio, and for a moment-I was back in college. In my senior year, I was in a rock band.<br />
<br />
The most powerful narcotic out there is the applause of an audience. I made some good money that year, but I would've done it for little to nothing because of the thrill of a performance.&nbsp;I'm just wondering if there are any here who had&nbsp;this kind of fun ?&nbsp;<br />
<br />
Barring that, have you ever been to a concert with great musical performances ?<br />
<br />
Let's share a love of music.

5 comments

• potheadpl
    14 years ago
    <p>Do you mean great MUSICAL performances or just great performances. In my mind, the two are different.<br />
    <br />
    Radiohead are the best musicians I've ever seen. Watching them on the &quot;In Rainbows&quot; tour was mind-blowing. For them to create the complex music they did LIVE was amazing. The five of them all play multiple instruments, sometimes playing multiple instruments in the same song. Jonny Greenwood is especially good at this.<br />
    <br />
    Green Day and David Lee Roth put on the best shows ever. Green Day, especially. If I were a 15 year old seeing Green Day as my first concert I would be totally happy.</p>
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    &nbsp;hey potheadpl when radiohead released their album online did you pay for it? just wondering how much did you pay?<br />
    <br />
    Also I have heard strippers say they &quot;don't need the money&quot; because they have husbands (ie judyjudy) but they enjoy it for the fun of it and the crow pleasing.&nbsp;<br type="_moz" />
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    &nbsp;also dudester, I recommend the internet radio site pandora.com...
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    Dude, I played in a band in college as well, and you're right, the audience is a huge turn on. For me, knowing that we just nailed that song was the biggest rush. I don't play with others much anymore, but I go to concerts frequently. I like great music and musicians . Artists I've seen since the first of this year include: Eric Clapton / Roger Daltry, Leon Russell, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Carol King / James Taylor, Steve Winwood / Carlos Santana. All provide outstanding performances in their own genre. <br />
    <br />
    Sorry to get long winded here, but I saw Lionel Hampton in Seattle a few months before he passed away back in the early 2000's. My wife wasn't feeling well after dinner, so she went back to the hotel and I went to see Lionel in little a club in downtown Seattle. He had suffered a stroke a few years before, and had a long piano bench with a guy on each side of him to keep him from falling over. Obviously he was touring because he needed money, but was barely able to perform - sort of a freak show feeling about it. But in his prime he was a great jazz musician who played with unmatched intensity, and I am proud to say that I saw him even though he was a shadow of what he had been.<br />
    <br />
    After the show I stopped by Rick's for a while before going back to the hotel. <br />
    <br type="_moz" />
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    My first concert was a Pat Benatar concert. This was in the ear (1980's) before backing tracks, dancers, and a bunch of gimmicks used today. I admired that a sngle singer carried the entire show.&nbsp; I ended up seeing her four more times before her shows became really lame. <br />
    <br />
    The best musicians I saw was Deep Purple on their Perfect Strangers tour (1984).<br />
    <br />
    In my band, we had some very talented artists who wowed our audiences with the unexpected. Our keyboardist was our only classically trained musician. She wrote and performed a solo called &quot;Space Trilogy&quot; in which sheopened with &quot;Also Sprach Zarathusta&quot; and closed with her intrpetation of the tar Wars theme. Ou lead keyboardist once did Stairway to Heaven on the piano, melody with on hand, rhythm with the other. Of course, the one thing that mde our audience go nuts was anytime we played Rush. Quite accidentally, Spirit of Radio, became our keynote song. We couldn't leave the stage without playing it.&nbsp;
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion