tuscl

Strip club shuttle driver picks up lost 4 year old

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - In his four years as shuttle driver for the Hush Puppy Saloon Strip Club, Shawn Heath says he's seen it all.

"A lot of fights and comical stuff," said Heath. "A lot of drunk people."

But he says nothing could prepare him for what he saw early Sunday morning as he took passengers home after a night out. He was driving down Independence when he saw a little boy.

"He was standing near the corner of Park," said Heath. "I said that's not right. I looked at my clock and it was four in the morning."

Heath circled the block and when he came back around he says he saw the boy running toward West End Blvd.

"He was on the side of the street," said Heath. "Not even the sidewalk, the street. That really scared me. I looked to see if there were other adults around. There was no one."

Heath says he knew he had to stop to pick up his most unusual passenger yet.

"He was wearing pajamas and no shoes. He was scared and confused," said Heath.

Heath says the child got right in and took a seat with the rest of the passengers.

"I had some college kids and a couple of middle-aged women that just fell in love with the baby," said Heath.

Everyone tried to get the little boy to tell them where he lived.

Heath circled the neighborhood but the four year old just cried.

Heath decided to take the little boy to the police department.

"It's pretty unusual," said Officer Darin Hickey.

Hickey says they quickly found his parents.

"It was really scary for them. The Department of Family Services took it over. They found the environment to be safe. Basically we think the little boy woke up and wanted to go find a sibling in another apartment. He didn't understand it wasn't OK to go outside."

"I'm just glad the little boy is OK," said Heath. "That's the main thing. I'm thankful I saw him before he ended up hit by a car or ended up hurt by an animal."

Some of the staff at the Hush Puppy would like to do something for the little boy but they have not learned his name.

Police say if we can learn something from this, it is to teach your children to be able to tell someone their address in an emergency.

http://www.kait8.com/story/16054062/stri…

4 comments

• deogol
    13 years ago
    Luckily he had a truck load of witnesses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/335…

"There was one small detail that jumped out at me in the tragic story of Abigail Rae, the two-year-old who wandered off from her village playgroup and ended up dying in a garden pond. Tucked away at the end of yesterday's inquest report was a line about how Clive Peachey, a bricklayer, drove past a child on her own, whom he later concluded had been Abby.

She was not walking straight, she was tottering, said Mr Peachey. "I kept thinking should I go back? One of the reasons I did not go back is because I thought someone would see me and think I was trying to abduct her.""
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    Another story, this one in the United States:

Last summer, an Illinois man lost an appeal on his conviction as a sex offender for grabbing the arm of a 14-year-old girl. She had stepped directly in front of his car, causing him to swerve in order to avoid hitting her.

The 28-year-old Fitzroy Barnaby jumped out his car, grabbed her arm and lectured her on how not to get killed. Nothing more occurred. Nevertheless, that one action made him guilty of "the unlawful restraint of a minor," which is a sexual offense in Illinois. Both the jury and judge believed him. Nevertheless, Barnaby went through years of legal proceedings that ended with his name on a sex offender registry, where his photograph and address are publicly available. He must report to authorities. His employment options are severely limited; he cannot live near schools or parks.

Arguably, the law would have punished Barnaby less had he hit the girl or not cared enough to lecture her. Perhaps that's the equation that ran through Peachey's mind.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1905…

And...

Commentator Josie Appleton reviewed the study, "Reported cases include the teacher who avoided putting a plaster [bandaid] on a child's scraped leg; nursery staff calling a child's mother every time he needed to go to the toilet; a male gym teacher leaving a girl injured in the hall while he waited for a female colleague."

One school reportedly kept an account of every 'touching incident.' They stated, "We write down a short account and date it and put which staff were present and at what time, we then explain it to the parent and ask them to read and sign it."

Appleton observed that this is more in keeping with "police logs than teaching children."

The last words encapsulate the problem.

Touching a child, even to render medical assistance, has become a potential police matter.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1905…

• Clubber
    13 years ago
    Perhaps some of these holier than thou do gooders ought to think, "Would I rather have that person to do that with/to my child, or have my child suffer the result of non-involvement?"

Common sense is becoming extinct in this culture!
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Yes it is getting scary. A few months ago I had to pickup my 3 yo grand daughter from day care. The church had a note from my daughter authorizing it and the child was told to expect it but when the time came, she had a fit. Screaming, crying and fighting me all the way. I had to pick her up and carry her to the car. I got sympathy looks from the other parents but I had to think of what a not knowing person would have thought.

I won't even talk to young teen age girls.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion