tuscl

The once great Memphis is doomed.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:19 PM
Strip Club Beer Ban Takes Effect Jan. 1 The beer comes off the tables at the eight strip clubs in Memphis starting Jan. 1. Shelby County Mayor Mark Luttrell announced the county will begin enforcing a four-year-old ordinance approved by the Shelby County Commission in 2007 and tied up in the court system until last month. That was when a federal appeals court gave the county the formal approval to begin enforcement. “We will be prepared on the first of January to fully enforce this ordinance,” Luttrell told reporters Thursday, Nov. 10. “It will be a large undertaking.” The adult-oriented business ordinance applies to adult bookstores and strip clubs. In addition to the total beer and alcohol ban, which several strip-club owners protested would effectively kill their businesses, the ordinance requires owners to get a $500 permit each year. The ordinance also requires dancers and all other employees of clubs to undergo a background check and get a $100-a-year work permit. Luttrell denied the goal of the ordinance is to force the businesses to close. “The enforcement of this ordinance represents the delicate balance between a person's right to operate a business in our community and how he or she operates that business,” Luttrell said. The apparatus for the new rules involves the Shelby County Clerk's office and the Shelby County Sheriff's office as well as the Shelby County District Attorney General's office. The background checks to be performed by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation will bar those who have violated laws governing the strip-club industry from getting a permit to work in the clubs. Felony convictions of owners could also be used to deny permits for clubs. Those decisions will be made by an adult-oriented businesses board already appointed and in place. With the Jan. 1 change, violations of the rules for strip clubs will no longer be handled by the city of Memphis beer board but instead by the five-member AOB board. A suspension of a beer permit by the beer board was usually appealed by club owners to Circuit Court, and they were able to keep their clubs open without interruption. A consultant hired by the county in drafting the 2007 ordinance questioned why the city body never revoked a beer permit for repeated violations. He also said in comparison to other cities with strip clubs, the clubs in Memphis operated with little regard for any rules or regulations. The applications for permits will be handled by the clerk's office with the sheriff's department responsible for enforcement and the district attorney general's office enforcing laws governing the operation of the clubs. The beer and alcohol ban, as well as the other regulations, apply to the city of Memphis until or unless the city enacts its own ordinance governing the clubs. Once the ordinance was passed, some bookstores and their employees began the process of getting permits from the clerk's office. County Clerk Wayne Mashburn says the money from those applications has been held in an escrow account while club owners waged a stubborn court battle in which they lost at every level and then continued to appeal to block enforcement of the ordinance

20 comments

• samsung1
    13 years ago
    There are some clubs here in Columbus, OH that don't sell alcohol. They have higher cover charges and "BYOB" policy.
  • canny
    13 years ago
    And no nagging by the dancers to buy them drinks.
  • 3LeggedMan
    13 years ago
    "Would you like to buy the lady a Pepsi?"
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    LOL, when Henry VIII South up here in Michigan lost it's liquor license for 5 years or so, yes, the dancers would nag you to buy a soft drink for them. Good luck Memphis.
  • newmark
    13 years ago
    I have been to plenty of nude juice bars where the waitrice definitely will hound you to buy drinks for the dancers.
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    As it is right now, they can't serve distilled spirits, which is bad enough. I think this new legislation will put a huge dent in business. Perhaps clubs will move outside of Shelby County to get around this: places like West Memphis, AR or Horn Lake, MS or Olive Branch, MS. I am going to Memphis one last time before this takes effect in January.
  • Otto22
    13 years ago
    I have fond memories of the way Memphis used to be in the early '80s. Pretty wide open town and the first high mileage LDs I ever experienced. I remember visiting once during one of the South's famous ice storms. There was a general power outage and most of the airport strip clubs were closed. Didn't seem to deter the dancers; they roamed the hotel parking lots giving BJs in customer cars. Sorry to see the way Memphis has deteriorated.
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    What, no more overpriced drinks??!!!
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Red bull is usually pricey.
  • troop
    13 years ago
    5 hundred dollar permit for the owners. 1 hundred dollar permits for the owners. even though they don't want you to exist, they will tax the hell out of you while you do!
  • runrdude
    13 years ago
    When I was there a couple of months ago, there was plenty of BYOB drinking taking place. A girl left my table, walked across the street to the liquor store in her bikini, and came back with a bottle for our party. No beer, meh...
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    run - The law also forbids BYOB.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Christies Cabaret has a club in Memphis and their headquarters are also in Memphis. It will be interesting to see how the company reacts to this. I am surprised they do not have more lobbying power in their home city. My guess is they will increase cover charges to $10-20 instead of the $3-8. Mons Venus can get away with charging a $20 cover but not sure if all the Memphis clubs could get away with that.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Only 6 strip clubs left in Memphis. Two of them don't even have any recent reviews from 2010 or 2011 so they might be closed as well. 4 strip clubs in a city of 646889 at the 2010 census, making it the biggest city in the state of Tennessee, the third largest in the Southeastern United States. This city is going to become like Cincinnati I am guessing.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Well, we can now say MEMPHIS adult business are going to die a serious death and it will be ripe for the next annual Baptist Convention!!! LOL
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    Believe it or not, at one time the Memphis scene was on par with the present-day Detroit scene. It has fallen way off the map over the last five years. Anyone remember "the Purple Palace"?
  • CaptainYowza
    13 years ago
    Bummer. I spent some time at Platinum Plus in late 2000 and the place was simply spectacular. In Dallas it would have been shut down in 5 minutes. By the time I left, Memphis had made my top-5 stripper cities list. What a shame that it's come to this. Oh Memphis, what has become of ye?
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    They could open up a non adult business serving drinks right next door so that patrons can have drinks and some form of entertainment that keeps it from being considered an adult business. I suggest food, sports bar, video and arcade games and drinks and then let customers get discounts to go to the strip club right next door or give free admission if they've been drinking already. Or just move strip clubs to a more favorable location maybe outside the county or to a county that may desire more business and revenue instead of raising property taxes on the locals because they will need to cut spending and increase taxes without all the revenue that could have been generated from driving away all night life.
  • kcjayhawk
    12 years ago
    Hmm. They just happened to leave out how much Shelby County has spent over the past 5 years legislating morality. What a joke
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    “Strip Club Beer Ban Takes Effect Jan. 1 …” Don’t know if this refers to Jan. 1 2012 or 2013? I wonder b/c I met a group of Memphis dancers down here in Miami around late Jan./early-Feb. whom said they had come down b/c as of the beginning of the year (2012) they had passed an ordinance stating the girls could not get naked (no tops off, etc.). Furthermore, supposedly they had to wear a particular type of “uniform”; i.e. no G-strings, etc. One of the Memphis dancers I was talking to (and getting some real good southern LDs from :)) said the clubs were “basically like a Hooters”. It looks like the city is trying to force the SCs out. Below is a Feb. 2012 review of a Memphis SC: “I go to Pure Passion on a quarterly basis. I usually have a blast. On this occasion however, things were slightly different. When I entered the door, I saw a sign that said this is not an adult entertainment establishment. I thought nothing of it until I sae that all the dancer were in uniform, boy shorts and and t shirts. I was stunned for nearly 20 minutes. I couldn't drink or get a dance at first. Once I got my self back together, I had a great time. Get a dance from Enchantress Bone if you can. Honey is another one.”
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion