tuscl

With Craigslist Out, Village Voice Media Now No. 1 for Adult Classifieds

Earlier this month Craigslist shut down its adult classified section around the world. This followed a lengthy battle with attorneys general and advocacy groups who accused Craigslist of aiding and abetting child prositution.

A similar charge is being leveled against Backpage.com, the online classified section run by Village Voice Media which features an adult services category. Village Voice Media has asked for the case to be dismissed.

In the meantime, Backpage has seen a big uptick in traffic since Craigslist shut down. The site has been seeing about 2.4 million unique visitors a month. But since Craigslist went offline, that number has grown to nearly 3 million a month.

Since this time last year, the average monthly traffic to Backpage.com for the NY region has nearly tripled. The AIM group, which tracks classified ads, says Backpage.com has emerged as the new leader in ads for prostitution. But while these numbers are significant, AIM says Backpage's growth represents only a fraction of the business that once existed on Craigslist.

"There are clear signs that some revenue and listings are migrating to Backpage and to other sites that specialize in prostitution advertising," said Mark A. Whittaker, an AIM Group consultant. "It doesn't seem likely that alternative sites will be able to absorb all of the money that had been spent with Craigslist."

http://www.observer.com/2010/media/villa…

5 comments

• inno123
    14 years ago
    Honestly, is there anybody here who didn't see this coming miles away?

Anyhow, Village Voice has been publishing these kinds of ads in print for decades and will be unfazed by the complaining.

Craigslist caved because they have a huge legit side of their business that could be harmed if their brand got slimed. Backpage does not have that worry.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    interesting analysis inno, I also remember reading craiglist is partially owned by parent company Ebay, which might explain the corporate pressure to clean up and be more family friendly
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    I think backpage replaced craigslist
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    Is this like the whack a mole game? Beat the mole in one hole and several others pop up in others. I think the result is fairly obviously to the ordinary American. Apparently politicians were clueless as usual or whoever wanted to whack the mole. It's called the oldest profession for a reason. There is demand for it and people willing to supply the demand. One day I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes it legal and tries to collect taxes on it.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I wonder if or when they will go after eros
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion