tuscl

Rick's Cabaret deal to buy strip-club company VCG Holdings is off

Rick's Cabaret International Inc.'s $45 million deal to acquire competitor VCG Holding Corp. of Colorado, merging two of the nation's largest adult-nightclub operators, fell through Thursday.

VCG's shares dropped nearly 16 percent Thursday following the announcement, closing at $2.02.

Houston-based Rick's issued a statement early Thursday that it was not able to enter into a definitive merger agreement to acquire all of VCG's outstanding stock.

The companies' letter of intent had been extended to Wednesday, but expired, Rick's said in a statement, without providing further specifics.

The transaction, originally announced on Feb. 16, would have created the largest publicly traded operator of gentlemen's clubs in North America.

As recently as March 11, the two companies said they were "committed to work toward execution of definitive documents as expeditiously as possible."

Lakewood-based VCG (NASDAQ: VCGH) operates Denver's Diamond Cabaret, La Boheme, Penthouse Club and two PT's clubs out of about 20 clubs nationwide.

Rick's Cabaret (NASDAQ: RICK) runs 18 nightclubs in seven states, including Rick's Cabarets in New York City, Las Vegas, Houston, Fort Worth, Austin, Minneapolis and San Antonio; five CTX Cabaret clubs in Texas; and Club Onyx locations in Houston, Charlotte, Dallas and Philadelphia.

The two companies reported combined revenues of $131.3 million for the 12 months ending Sept. 30, 2009.

As part of the deal, Troy Lowrie, VCG's chairman, CEO and largest single stockholder, would have stayed on as a consultant to Rick's Cabaret for three years.

Last November, Lowrie said he wanted to buy up all outstanding VCG stock for $2.10 a share, through an investment entity called Lowrie Management LLLP and “certain other unidentified investors,” and take the company private. But in December, a special VCG board committee evaluating Lowrie's offer deemed it “currently inadequate.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/storie…

I don't think this is an april fool's joke by the way.

7 comments

• minnow
    14 years ago
    I don't know if that is good news or not. For the longest time, I liked the PT's club model- upscale appearance, attractive dancers, fun without going overboard on pretetions. That based on Indy, multiple ESL clubs, and isolated San Antonio/Denver. Though, lately, less enamored about changes at PT's Indy in last year or so (remodel, price increases).

I have limited experience with Ricks- Houston was good many years ago, lately they seem to be jumping in and out of different clubs with no apparent rhyme or reason. Being too "corporatized" (thing Deja Vu & Spearmint Rhino) doesn't portend good things for customer enjoyment.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Any tuscl short sellers?
  • deogol
    14 years ago
    To much monopoly in this business as it is.
  • sanitago
    14 years ago
    interesting. the major shareholder offers to take the company private but gets turned down by the board because they think his offer isn't generous enough. then Rick's steps in, makes an offer, and the company's stock tanks. amazing how it ended up just a bit below what the major partner had offered, ain't it?
    does anyone else smell "insider trading"?
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    The strip club industry does about $5 billion per year according to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_club

Rick's Cabaret revenue for 2009 was $75 million
    http://quote.morningstar.com/stock/s.asp…

75 million out of 5 billion is still less than 2% so I would say Rick's cabaret is far from being a monopoly in the strip club industry. It might seem that way in some Texas areas but here in Ohio they have no clubs.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Buy low and sell high. Is now the time to get in?
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I don't know, RICK was low around $2-3 last year. It has been a monster run up for just one year.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion