tuscl

Dallas prostitutes given alternative to jail--on public's dime

For the past two years Dallas has been offering prostitutes publicly funded rehabilitation programs as an alternative to jail--and despite limited success, other cities may soon follow suit in the costly venture.

The city's Prostitution Diversion Initiative entails a once-a-month camp-out of four command trucks, a mobile courtroom and health care clinic, multiple police officers and social workers and a judge, according to an Associated Press article. This coterie sets up shop in a vacant lot near truck stops that provide the bulk of the prostitutes' business and for eight hours every four weeks, officers question these people and confiscate their property. If the prostitutes have no felony warrants the judge gives them the option of doing a 45-day, in-patient rehabilitation program, followed by "help" with education, child care and housing.

A nice idea, and one that several hundred cities have reportedly expressed interest in replicating, but has it made a difference? In a word, no. According to the article, just half of the approximately 375 prostitutes taken in during these monthly stings have chosen the rehab program over jail, and only about 21 of them have left prostitution and changed their lives. That's a success rate of less than 6 percent, and at an approximate cost, if we consider national averages a fair frame of reference, at least $7,000 in taxpayer money per person per month. That's not counting the expense of the traveling anti-prostitution team.

We are not saying jail time is the most effective deterrent against prostitution; many prostitutes have been incarcerated for their profession on more than one occasion. What we are saying is rehab--especially given its high cost to the public--doesn't seem look like an effective deterrent, either.

Jan. 5, 2010
http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/water…

7 comments

• vincemichaels
    15 years ago
    Wow, sounds like a great use of taxpayer's tax dollars. NOT!
  • deogol
    15 years ago
    If they are swiping "John's" property that is probably pretty well breaking even or better in the end. Store these people in jail at tax payer expense or bring them on the team and seize five or six cars and cash?

That's called making crime pay - for the government. (Which seems to be doing it's best to criminalize as much as it can tax.)
  • mmdv26
    15 years ago
    If I have a strong body and I'm in pretty good shape, but pretty stupid when it comes to education, gee...I could be a lifeguard and get paid money by the people who own the pool because I make it safer to swim in. I could be a lawn mowing person and get paid by the people who own the lawn because I make it look better. If I wasn't in such great shape, I could be a barber and cut your hair for money because you desperately needed a haircut. If I was a good talker, I could be a minister (yeah, even without a divinity degree; I be a reverend...)and get paid by people who's emotions I touch because they would be a mess otherwise.

But what if I'm a girl who's got big boobs and an OK face, and I want to help you have a climax because it will make you feel better. If I get paid, and get caught getting paid, I get to go to rehab? For helping you feel better?

Girls helping guys feel better (GHGFB) and getting paid for it. It's allowed in a few places without sending either person to rehab. Why? Because there's nothing wrong with them - they don't need to go to rehab. They need to go celebrate feeling better!!

Maybe GHGFB will be like medical marijuana. The rulemakers will allow it just a little bit, but not too much. After it's shown that nobody got hurt trying it just a little bit, it is allowed a little more, and a little more, and soon it is accepted and you don't have to go to rehab anymore.

Then it's taxed and the rulemakers have a huge new source of revenue.
  • Player11
    15 years ago
    I don't believe Prostitutes need rehab for doing what they do - its the worlds oldest profession and the stress relief they give clients is invaluable. Nor do clients need rehab. Its simply our society thats misguided. Men have been sharing women since the dawn of time and a lot of these gals that are sex workers today be they stripers or prostitutes are built to handle more than one man and possibly be shared by several. Its part of their evolutionary history which is much older than any of the social / political / religious systems in existence.
  • georgmicrodong
    15 years ago
    Actually, I question the premise that prostitution is the world's oldest profession. I think begging is more likely.

After all, somebody had to ask for it...
  • txtittyfan
    15 years ago
    It comes down to preference. When I was younger I chased skirt in bars and was pretty successful. Dinner and a movie usually got sex. A lot of time you just need a date or two and feign interest in the person. Now it is just simpler to go to a SC or AMP, choose your girl and get what you want.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    legalize prostitution and have it regulated and taxed. That same tax money could to these rehab programs for the girls who are doing it out of necessity and it could be a win win situation.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion