tuscl

Ok this off topic and bragging on my part...

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
How can a town of only 40,00 pull this off every year. Just another reason why CNN's MOney Magazine rates it the 8th best to live in the U.S. I have lived here for 23 years and love it.

Great Georgia Air Show scheduled for next weekend
Mon, 10/05/2009 - 8:45am
By: The Citizen

Precision parachuting, gravity-defying jets, thundering jet trucks and vintage warbirds mark the 12 edition of The Great Georgia Airshow (GGAS) to be held at Falcon Field Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 10 and 11. The aviation festival, presented by the Kiwanis Club of Peachtree City and the Commemorative Air Force's (CAF), Dixie Wing, will again showcase modern and historic military aircraft, thrilling aerobatics and activities for the entire family.

“GGAS is a family friendly event, full of affordable activities for kids of all ages” said Bill Lasher, Airshow Director “A family of four will be able to attend for only $40. No where else in the Atlanta area can you find world-class family entertainment for this price.”

Two day passes are available this year.

Leading the aerial line up of modern military aircraft is the Marine AV-8B Harrier II and Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt Demonstrations Teams. The Golden Knights, the U.S. Army's precision parachute team, will be on hand to demonstrate the skill that has won the group 21 national championships and eight world titles over the last 50 years. The Harrier is famous for its ability to hover, while the Thunderbolt is a twin-engine jet designed for close air support.

Aircraft and helicopters from the various branches will be available for inspection throughout the weekend.

Performing for the first time, the six-ship Red Thunder Air Show Team will perform dazzling aerobatics in Russian and Chinese-made trainers. Dare devil teams returning to GGAS are Red Eagle Air Sports, Kent Gordon and Greg Koontz. Neal Darnell's always popular Flash-Fire Jet truck will thunder down the runway at 300 miles per hour.

In GGAS tradition, the CAF Dixie Wing will display its growing collection of classic WWII and Korean War-era aircraft. Based in Peachtree City, the group is the Georgia chapter of the Commemorative Air Force, a national non-profit dedicated to restoring and flying vintage American military aircraft as a tribute to America's veterans.

Air shows nation wide have experienced a resurgence in attendance this year.
“Attendance at air shows across the country [is] expected to hit almost 14 million, up 20 percent from last year,” said CBS Evening News reporter Bill Whitaker.

CBS Evening News reported that the current state of the economy has prompted families to “stay closer to home and look for cost effective entertainment alternatives for the family.” Air shows seem to be the answer to this dilemma for many Americans. (CBS Evening News, Aug. 23, 2009)
Local community non-profit organizations, such as the Kiwanis Club of Peachtree City, as well as school and scouting groups generate proceeds by supporting the Airshow. Kiwanis is a global service organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time.

Tickets can be purchased in advance at selected Kroger stores. Advance tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for children ages 6-12. Kids ages 5 and under get in free. After Oct. 9, tickets are available at the gate: $18 for adults and $7 for shildren, ages 6-12. Two day passes are available this year at the gate: $30 for adults $30 and $10 for children.
Gates open at 9 a.m. both days with a pre-show starting at noon and aerial performances from 1-5 p.m.

To better ensure security and safety, absolutely no coolers, backpacks, or pets. For more information visit www.thegreatgeorgiaairshow.com or contact the air show office at 770-632-0365.
login or register to post comments
Comm

11 comments

• samsung1
    15 years ago
    My guess would be because a major airline is headquartered near there.

After some wikipedia on peachtree city, ga I find it funny that their motto is "We love short shorts" lol
  • slickpeter
    15 years ago
    What does this post have to do with TUSCL?????? Definitely not on topic!
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    slcikpeter,

And yours is?

BTW, never saw a SC in Peachtree City, but been many years since I was there.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    I had a hard time finding everything in Peachtree City. I believe they believe it's better to hide all the buildings behind trees and bushes and keep the signs very small or hidden as well so only the locals can find things without a GPS system. From what I remember though, the trees looked nice. That was about the only thing I could see out of my hotel window when I visited there. I enjoy green spaces but I think they overdid it there. Maybe someone cut down a tree by now, that was years ago.
  • jablake
    15 years ago
    TUSCL_Brother's dump of city and dump or a home sounds worthy of true bragging rights. Visiting a club once month is depressing----it means I'm broke or very weak.

Those "appealing" areas are usually totally unappealing to me. Don't need a low crime rate and don't need clean streets or good schools. I do need plenty of hookers and strippers. Preferably these hookers and strippers aren't rich or middle class----rich is better between the 2, but best is dirt poor----it's all about the culture.

The Hood rocks except for the horrible loud music. The old Honeys since bulldozed down was heaven as far as the dancers---seemed like everyone was recently released from a government "correctional" facility. Hardly ever went to this oasis becaused it seemed to always be ringed by no nonsense police officers eager to enforce the law.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    There are no SC's in PTC and never will be. I have to drive 30 miles into Atlanta to get to the closest one.Most are an hours drive but this is where I hang my hat.You do have to get a permit to cut down trees over a certain size. I recently had 3 Popular's cut down.They were all over 100 years old. Their diameters were all in excess of 3 feet. If any one would have fallen on my house, they would have smashed it to the ground.Deer in my yard are weekly events. Yes, Delta Air Lines is a major player. I would guess that 20% of the residents are Delta employees. I am retired after 42 years with them. Now back to strip clubs.
  • LoneLurker
    15 years ago
    Peachtree City sounds like a great place to live. Thanks for sharing.
  • how
    15 years ago
    Not bragging on your part, scat, as inhabitants of a town rarely have anything to do with why things like this happen in their town.
  • txtittyfan
    15 years ago
    While Peachtree City sounds nice, my town is better, HA!
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    There go the jets overhead. FFC's 5200 ft rwy is only about 3 or 4 miles from my house. The city uses buses to get people to/from the airport.Not enough parking there.The runway is too short for the Jets. They are launched from Dobbins AFB or the ATL airport. The Atlanta National Weather Service is located there as well as the Doppler radar site.The airport has a chain link fence around it to keep the deer off the runway. I may go tomorrow with my daughter and 2 grand daughters.As great as it is, it does not compare to watching The Blue Angel's at the Pensacola Naval Air Station.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion