tuscl

Death of Tycoons in Detroit

SuperDude
Detroit, Michigan
Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:48 AM
After years of declining patronage, lazy dancers and charging for even the air in the place, it looks like Tycoons on Eight Mile Road in Detroit, Michigan has closed. Regular and rapid turnover of managers signaled the beginning of the end. As soon as a manager was able to understand how to bring some life back to the club, he was gone. The hot dancers were always bitchin' about the way they were treated. (Now how many customers want to listen to that!) I heard rumors about I.R.S. difficuties and put together a team that offered to help. No return phone calls. The club has been locked up since April 15. It now has a sign annoucing that the site will soon be a Tim Horton;s. Once a happening place, Tycoons owners took customers for granted and never understood that they faced real competition for a shrinking entertainment dollar in the Detroit market.

3 comments

• chandler
    17 years ago
    That's sad news. I went to Tycoons a couple of times back in about 1995 when it was going strong. They had some great looking dancers and pretty good dances. There were just too many other places I liked a little better, so I never made it back. As I recall, it was a sister club to Trumpp's back then. Detroit has always had too many clubs vying for an upscale crowd for them to be taking customers for granted (not that that's ever acceptable). SuperDude, speaking of poorly timed upscale ventures, any word on how the Colosseum is doing? I heard they lowered dance prices, but I still haven't heard anybody say it's worth trying.
  • SuperDude
    17 years ago
    I'll do a little recon first chance I get and report back.
  • Scratch
    17 years ago
    I can tell ya, even ten years ago Tycoons sucked. You paid a cover to get in, and every seat in the place except the bar was "reserved".
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion