EV Charging Costs

Wednesday, November 8, 2023 7:23 AM
I don't own an EV, however I do own TSLA stock; I'm focused on his SpaceX, Dojo and robotics tech than cars/trucks. Lately, I'm seeing more manufactures moving to Tesla's EV Charging Network. The projections show a $10B to $20B annual revenue by 2030. When charging an EV outside the house, how much does it cost? And at home, how does it add to your monthly electric bill which I varies widely across the country.

40 comments

I’ve paid as little as $0.33 per kWh and as much as $0.48 at CCS stations. My understanding is that Tesla tends to be a little more expensive - the price you pay for them being basically everywhere. It’s not just how much it adds to your home’s electric bill - it’s also how much you didn’t spend on gasoline. Typically, for comparable vehicles the cost is about 1/3 of what an ICE vehicle would be to operate. That does not include any costs incurred by installing a home charging system.
uniquename
6 months ago
I’ll admit I’m rather ignorant about EV’s. But you might say I suffer from “range anxiety” Lifetime had a movie about a woman getting stranded in the Arizona desert and even when she found a charging station it wasn’t working. On the other hand, maybe I should cruise around the desert looking for hot college girls stranded by the side of the road.
motorhead
6 months ago
a battery breakdown outside of warranty coverage can cost $30,000-$40,000 to replace. Nah. The technology is not where it needs to be, yet.
gammanu95
6 months ago
How much does a home charging system cost (equipment + installation)?
funonthaside
6 months ago
Many car manufacturers cover home charter installation costs when you buy a new EV
TheSingularity
6 months ago
Cost about $2000 to install my Tesla at home charger. All in the car cost me $40k 3 years ago, and it’s used as a commuter around town for which I take several trips weekly, under an hour drive. Charge at home at night when pricing is less expensive and only $40/month added to my electric bill. AZ has inexpensive of peak electricity. I’ve got 2 other gasoline vehicles, one a diesel truck for hauling stuff and the other suv for out of town road trips. Never yet used a charging station. My fuel costs savings are about $200/momth, and I only have to change oil once a year for my gasoline engines, since I put on 10,000 miles on the EV annually.
Mate27
6 months ago
Just say no to EVs. Biggest scam in history. Green? Yeah, gangrene.
skibum609
6 months ago
There’s a lot of money to be made opening EV charging facilities, 6% of all auto sales are EVs, once they standardize the charging protocol I can see someone setting up charging stations and getting existing businesses to subsidize the costs. Right now the projections are that by 2030, thirty percent of all the autos on the road will be EVs. That one heck of a market and it’s going to create tremendous business opportunities.
twentyfive
6 months ago
Think of all the gas stations across the country that are in prime real estate locations. I predict most of these places will turn themselves into charging stations. So many chains have gas and EV charging. One day those are only going to be EV charging stations (no gas). Probably not in the lifetime of most people reading this response but it will happen eventually.
shailynn
6 months ago
^ the way I see it is now that where gasoline is not used, the land can be used for many other purposes, the permitting will more than likely, not be as intensive, you might be able to put level 2 chargers in other locations where a captive audience might be stuck for 20-40 minutes providing opportunities to sell them other items like lunch or dinner or hard goods that will make that parking space a great marketing opportunity.
twentyfive
6 months ago
Until battery tech gets better, i.e. not using the dwindling supply of rare earth metals, I'm not convinced it's particularly wise to go all in. There's no doubt in my mind that continued adoption will spur that innovation, and I absolutely love my Prius (which is not 100% EV), it's not worth it to me yet. There's also the fact that much of the country still burns coal to generate electricity, and while the pollution generated by producing a "tankful" of electricity is still lower than burning a tankful of gas, we could do even better if the oil companies didn't actively encourage the FUD surrounding nuclear power, and actively contribute to the government's blockage of nuclear power. But to me, the limited supply of lithium and cobalt is gonna drive prices even more. Heard good things about the new so-called "solid state" batteries, so hopefully that continues.
georgmicrodong
6 months ago
The costs of environmental cleanup of gas stations before they can be sold, at least in Massachusetts, means a lot of empty former gas station lots in prime real estate locations now.
skibum609
6 months ago
Fuck it. I'm averaging 20mph in my 2024 Mustang GT and spending 5 minutes a week filling the tank. I paid $279/gal yesterday at my Kroger.
shadowcat
6 months ago
^^All of those gas stations will need environmental cleanup not just MA, just another business opportunity. Someone or many someone’s are going to make fortunes.
twentyfive
6 months ago
“I paid $279/gal yesterday at my Kroger.“ Oil has dropped 7% the past week but gas near me (Ohio) jumped about 40 cents over night
motorhead
6 months ago
This is just a major scam by the gustapho POTUS. His kid is getting a kickback somewhere in this. Installation of a charger at home can be $600 to $5000. $600 is the charger and you plug it into an existing 220v outlet. Dryer or range. Does your electric panel have room for 60amps more pull? Most places require a permit to change the wiring of the house. A licensed electrician to do all the work and if you need to pull another wire for the amps to the house, you are now into the thousands of dollars. All so little Mayor Pete can pucker his hole for you.
FL34102
6 months ago
you can put in a 220 outlet, 30 amp or 50 amp and a breaker in your existing electrical panel. I can do it for less than 100 bucks. you don't need some fucking expensive charger to charge it at home. this is what my daughter does in charging her Tesla at her house.
Jascoi
6 months ago
in fact, before she put in a 220 outlet at her house, all she did was unplugged her electric dryer and plug the same style plug that she had installed on the Tesla charging cord into her dryers, 30 amp service outlet.
Jascoi
6 months ago
^ you can stand in front of a steamroller, you’re just going to get flattened. Or you can get with the program and profit along with the smart folks.
twentyfive
6 months ago
it's not rocket science.
Jascoi
6 months ago
I feel like we have this EV discussion every month or so. I’m not sure how EVs became political, but I own 1 Tesla S and 2 ICE vehicles. Do I have to pick one team or the other? I am really happy with both types of vehicles. My Tesla is the perfect commuter car, my SUV is perfect for taking long trips or for hauling lots of people and stuff, and my wife is currently driving a ICE, but her next car will most likely be an EV. I spent $150 to get a 50 amp 240 volt outlet installed in my garage. It takes about 4 hrs to charge my Tesla at home appx once a week. My FPL bill is already $650/month, so any increase in electricity consumption is negligible.
iknowbetter
6 months ago
Yeah, I don’t understand how people simultaneously hate EVs (likely without ever owning or even driving one) and bitch about high gas prices. Don’t want to drive an EV? Don’t buy one. You still get to enjoy the lower demand for gasoline and theoretically lower gas prices.
Hank Moody
6 months ago
At some time in the future when EV's out number ICE's there is going to be a need for a gasoline tax replacement to keep our roads, etc in good shape. How will we tax the electricity used to charge vehicles at home?
shadowcat
6 months ago
motorhead: "On the other hand, maybe I should cruise around the desert looking for hot college girls stranded by the side of the road." I've seen "Twight Zone" episodes like this. Opportunist I see. The guy who invented TGI Fridays was frustrated at meeting girls as bars back in the day were men oriented. It's quite an interesting story.
mogul1985
6 months ago
iknowbetter: "My Tesla is the perfect commuter car, my SUV is perfect for taking long trips or for hauling lots of people and stuff." I wasn't starting a political discussion at all. You can afford the perfect combination of EV & ICE. Doing a trip to Wallyworld in the family Truckster would be tough with an EV or using one in say Alaska or North Dakota in Winter. A lot of folks can't afford a Tesla + an ICE vehicle. I too have range/charging anxiety. I know this, or some other non-fossil fuel vehicle, is in my future just not now. I'm in TSLA for the tech/space, not the cars, however, TSLA's Dojo for driverless taxis is really interesting.
mogul1985
6 months ago
shadowcat: "At some time in the future when EV's out number ICE's there is going to be a need for a gasoline tax replacement to keep our roads." Yeah, CA has added more to register an EV than an ICE to make-up for the lost taxes. Plus, CA has floated the idea if a mileage tax, and with an Internet connected vehicle of any kind that would be a strong possibility.
mogul1985
6 months ago
motorhead: “I paid $279/gal yesterday at my Kroger.“ The Jewish guy in Ventura County, CA that was assaulted over the weekend and eventfully died: He was by a Shell gas station's gas price sign: Unleaded was $5.50, Premium was $5.999 and Diezel was $6.51. OUCH! Gas in CO can be had for $2.85 for Unleaded.
mogul1985
6 months ago
Yeah, if it’s one thing government is good at, it’s figuring out how to tax. Mileage seems to be the easy way but tolls with ez pass is another. I’m sure there are more ways. $2.79 a gallon shadow? Do you not put premium in your horsey car?
Hank Moody
6 months ago
My woman has a Chevy Bolt. We don’t have an enhanced charging station in the garage - just the regular. We haven’t seen a noticeable increase in electric bills. We have found a number of places (parking garages, auto supplier offices) that have high-speed charging for NO ADDITIONAL COST. She doesn’t drive a lot, and when we do have to drive a long distance, we drive my ICE vehicle. No need to get your Trump panties in a bind about it.
DrStab
6 months ago
@Hank Moody - it runs fine on 87 octane. Since I am not racing it, I can stand the 20 or so HP loss from the rated 480.
shadowcat
6 months ago
Without internal combustion engines my drive to harm the environment and make the planet unlivable for the next generations will be tougher. On the plus side, when it i my time to go I will buy an expensive electric vehicle based on the sound policy of a quieter car makes it easier to run down progressive pedestrians. They will be too busy chanting slogans to hear an electric car.
skibum609
6 months ago
Unfortunately, EVs do more environmental harm than ICE vehicles, unless you drive them about 200K miles to offset the upfront CO2 required to produce one. If they were actually environmentally friendly, affordable, and had proper infrastructure that wasn't tied to the same power grid which is used for everything else, I'd be happy to get one. For those too lazy to watch: https://ibb.co/TbSfNR3 Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E8SQde5rk
5footguy
6 months ago
In order of appearance - “ a battery breakdown outside of warranty coverage can cost $30,000-$40,000 to replace. “ Battery and related components are covered under a 8 year/100K mile warranty per Federal law. “ How much does a home charging system cost (equipment + installation)?” That depends upon your home’s existing wiring and how big a charger you want to install. “ This is just a major scam by the gustapho POTUS. His kid is getting a kickback somewhere in this” Got any proof? Show your work. “ you can put in a 220 outlet, 30 amp or 50 amp and a breaker in your existing electrical panel. ” Truth. The only drawback is that the charge rate will be comparatively slow. If that is compatible with your daily usage there is no reason why this is not an acceptable solution. “ At some time in the future when EV's out number ICE's there is going to be a need for a gasoline tax replacement to keep our roads, etc in good shape. How will we tax the electricity used to charge vehicles at home?” A valid concern. Some states are already implementing a mileage-based tax to make up for that shortfall.
uniquename
6 months ago
The mileage based tax is simply another means to track and control people. What right does the fucking government have under the constitution to check on where you drive, when and how much? Anyone who believes that EVs are anything other than the rich screwing over the taxpayer and will have zero impact on the climate is pretty stupid.
skibum609
6 months ago
@uniquename: "I’ve paid as little as $0.33 per kWh and as much as $0.48 at CCS stations." What is the final cost? I have no idea how many kWh(s) it takes to charge up. And while I do understand it costs less than gasoline, factors like maintenance/repairs, vehicle cost and resale need to be factored in. Like if you need a new battery? What I'm getting at here is the (TCO) total cost of ownership over say 5-10 years.
mogul1985
6 months ago
I know more people who bought an EV and then went back to an ICE versus people who are happy driving an EV. The batteries do not perform well in very cold and very hot climates. In Las Vegas, you will get about 20% less range due to the desert heat. The electricity is likely still coming from fossil fuels, as over 60% of energy in the US is from FF, so you are not really helping the environment as much as you think.
Lockjaw
6 months ago
You can tell which people here have rage issues and can’t absorb anything other than what they’ve known their entire life when it comes to the choice of EV or ICE transportation. It’s not an all or nothing situation, it is entirely a choice for which a free market bares. Anyway, most sound and reasonable people agree that has motors will never go away and there will always be a need for them, and those same sound and reasonable people know that the EV options also fit in the free market as a viable choice for those who want them. The emotionally triggered people who politicize the topic simply have too much time on their hands without any fulfillment in their lives to see how EVs do a great job of providing choice in a free market for those who want them. It’s not about getting rid of gasoline engines, unless you’re a Breitbart fanatic who looks for an argument in every issue in an ever changing world, but that’s slays going to be the case when old men scream “get off my lawn”!
Mate27
6 months ago
^^ Well, you kind of just politicized it yourself, when you call out "Breitbart fanatics", fwiw. I'm not a fanatic of any persuasion, but I do know that the UK has proposed a ban on the sale of gas and diesel engines by 2035. Sure sounds like "getting rid of gasoline engines" to me. To fanatics on both sides I'll reiterate that I'm happy to drive gasoline or EVs. I don't care. As you mentioned Mate, I think there's a place for both, and it is a shame that people are "all or nothing." I noticed no one tried to refute my claim, based on the video and picture below, that EVs are not actually more environmentally friendly as far as CO2 goes. Anyone care to discuss? I'm happy to learn, as always. If no one tries to refute it, I'll just assume that it's a given, based on the info referenced below, that EVs do more environmental harm than gasoline cars. the chart: https://ibb.co/TbSfNR3 source video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E8SQde5rk article on UK phase out: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consulting-on-ending-the-sale-of-new-petrol-diesel-and-hybrid-cars-and-vans
5footguy
6 months ago
outlawing new fossil fuel vehicle sales is ridiculous. forcing people to buy a new EV is going to backfire because of the charging and electrical infrastructure issues. having EVs as an option is understandable but it should not be absolutely required.
Jascoi
6 months ago
Funny thing is happening now, the big three had a big miss this quarter, and the EV sales took a dump, even Tesla, it’s been a good run for Tesla, while they had much of the market to themselves, but the EV market is all of a sudden too competitive and everyone is cutting prices on too many vehicles. If anyone is interested bows the time to make a deal.
twentyfive
6 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion