Veganism

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 7:58 PM
Why are there even vegans? Last time I worked some girl was trying to get me vegan recipes, and I was pretending to be interested in her rambling about vegan this n that to be nice. I'm personally in the camp of meat is yummy yummy murder.

25 comments

Ethics, health, contrarianism, usually. Eating some vegan stuff is cool… you like baby carrots sautéed in olive oil? You’re eating vegan. Tasty, healthy. However, meat is too good for me to pass up. I think my doctor has other ideas though…
drewcareypnw
a year ago
I'll never be vegan or vegetarian. A life without bacon isn't worth living. That said, I have vegan and vegetarian friends who are perfectly happy and more power to them. It doesn't affect me. Vegans often have a political or ethical motive behind their choice, and with that comes proselytizing at some level. I've let my vegan friends know that I'm not interested in being converted. They respect that. One of them took me to a vegan restaurant for lunch and it was actually an amazing meal. Really enjoyed it. But, for dinner that night I had a bison burger, because as an omnivore I can enjoy all the good food. So, I'd take those vegan recipes, because you can serve them with steak.
Call.Me.Ishmael
a year ago
Yeah, these people's "ethical" arguments annoy the shit out of me lol. Like we don't have some slave or severely underpaid labor to provide ingredients for vegan eating. I must look like a homo for some1 to be thinking I'm seriously interested in not eating meat.
blahblahblah23
a year ago
To each their own on the personal choices. Vegetarians, even those for animal rights reasons, seem to be live and let live. Vegans proselytize worse than Jehovah's Witnesses.
Tetradon
a year ago
^ so you should join PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
twentyfive
a year ago
yum yum^
blahblahblah23
a year ago
How do you know when someone is vegetarian or vegan? Because they tell you. And anyone else in earshot who will listen. Can I get a hot dog please.
captainfun
a year ago
Eh... vegetarians are usually mellow about it. Many vegans will loudly ask for a vegan menu if they're at an auto mechanic. Even some of my vegan friends admit that vegans are a bit much.
Call.Me.Ishmael
a year ago
My doctor told me eating meat was unhealthy and recommended becoming a vagetarian. I haven't lost any weight, but my tongue has muscles.
Mike Rotch
a year ago
^ What folks don't understand about your doctor telling you that you'll live longer, if you don't eat meat, they aren't hearing that advice correctly, they aren't actually saying you will live longer, what they are saying is that it will seem longer.
twentyfive
a year ago
I’d love to be able to eat vegetarian/vegan more often, but I have a tendency to get anemic sometimes. So I often end up dead cow anyways. Sorry environment.
nicespice
a year ago
I can kinda understand vegetarians or pescatarians or w/e but vegan is crazy and tbh it seems like some of the "vegans" don't even know what it means cuz then they'll tell me about eating foods that u don't if ur actually vegan. Yes, I googled what they can't eat.
blahblahblah23
a year ago
I wonder if vegan girls deepthroat. If they hate the taste of meat I doubt they'd enjoy a large sausage stuffed down their throat. Maybe all those times I got bad head it was a vegan or vegetarian.
Mike Rotch
a year ago
Too many people dont have any purpose in life. They need to find something to fill that void of purpose, so they choose being vegan, woke, climate alarmist, social justice warriors, and pansexual (LGBTQ+). These people are the neo-liberals which is like a religion for those seeking purpose in their lives. All of these are cult like, witt their empty shallow lives. If any of those raised children they wouldn’t have time to waste on silly idols, they’d eat whatever is put in front of them and shut up and be thankful they’re not starving.
Mate27
a year ago
I was vegetarian for several years for health reasons. I was suffering from gout which is caused by genetics and red meat (which is high in purines). It helped limit my gout attacks but I couldn't sustain it, so I went back to being an omnivore and took medication for the gout . It wasn't that bad and I don't regret it, but don't ever let anyone tell you that there are good substitutes for meat out there. There's not. It never tastes as good as the real thing.
SirLapdancealot
a year ago
I agree with Ishmael in that vegetarians are usually pretty chill. Vegans, not so much. But veganism can be a fun outlet for some who enjoy practicing a scolding fundamentalism without the church/synagogue/ mosque part.
Huntsman
a year ago
Whatever. Live and let live. If they aren’t harming me IDGAF.
Hank Moody
a year ago
Vegetarianism makes sense for some people. Veganism makes sense for a small subset of people with various metabolic disorders. The "ethics" of veganism are made up nonsense.
georgmicrodong
a year ago
I don't think the ethics of veganism is made up nonsense. They just aren't my ethics. I had one person explain to me that they wanted to reduce the suffering and death associated with their having food, clothing, and other consumables. That is an ethic that you'll find in several forms of Buddhism going back ages. They also explained that we now live in a technologically advanced society where it has actually become relatively easy to accomplish that goal *if you want to.* Emphasis on personal choice. I'll also point out that if you look at the practices at many large factory / industrial livestock facilities, then the argument for less or no meat becomes more credible. We've not even touched on hormone supplement and antibiotic practices. Though I still eat meat and don't intend to stop, I have changed where I go shopping for meat.
Call.Me.Ishmael
a year ago
I've never found the arguments for veganism persuasive. I've always seen meat-eating as Tennyson's "nature, red in tooth and claw," or The Lion King's "circle of life." I don't want to cause unnecessary pain and suffering, but life only exists by consuming other life. And for humans and many animals, that's meat. Eventually, we're going to get consumed by soil bacteria and worms, too. Think animal testing is evil? OK, kiss goodbye to any life-saving drug you've ever taken, as well as many cosmetics. The great majority are tested in "sensitive" species like dogs and primates before they touch a human being. Think wearing animals is evil? OK, your clothes made with Chinese prison labor are causing _human_ suffering, petroleum consumption for many fabrics, pollution when you throw out your fast fashion, while a well-made leather product will last you a lifetime. Think consuming animals is evil? OK, look at what the consumption of certain vegan substitutes does to local markets (like the effects of American demand for quinoa on growers in South America). Suddenly the ethical calculus of veganism isn't so straightforward. Most vegans I've known are sanctimonious pricks who just want a reason to feel superior to their fellow man.
Tetradon
a year ago
^^ hence why i think it’s similar to a cult or religion. They have no real purpose to being a vegan, other than they couldn’t find any other faith to fall in line. How convenient to not attend church or some other higher power ideaology . They can claim to be of some higher moralistic ground than others because they don’t consume animals, wtf?
Mate27
a year ago
Yeah, like I was listening to this girl go on and on about veganism cuz I wanted to be nice, and she is nice. It is a small club so I don't want any drama over dumbass shit. I guess she misinterpreted my politeness as literally wanting to become a vegan too like lord no. Yeah, I won't buy these vegan arguments ever because a lot of the labor used to create ok for vegans products is fucking cruel and inhumane. Labor work in the US can really really suck. Well, it sucks a hell of a lot more in most of the rest of the world because they don't have all these labor laws, unions, other cushy protections, different cultures- list goes on.
blahblahblah23
a year ago
So there’s been a lot of comments above about why people are vegan but none the same of my theory. Most people I know that are vegan or tried to be Vegas are “granola bars” or the “hippie-type.” There is one other group, 40 year old women. I’ve known several women approaching the age of 40 or that have passed it that had turned to vegan to try to lose or maintain their weight. Let’s face it some peoples (mostly women) metabolism goes to complete shit when they hit 40 and can go to the gym all day and still not ace grove the body they want. A few women I know thought “well if I only eat salads and use almond milk in my coffee instead of cow milk I should be good. Hey never mind the 5 alcohol drinks they have almost daily or all the animals-depressions they take, yeah those have nothing to do with weight gain… (sarcasm)
shailynn
a year ago
A: I put this in my pie hole. B: I do not put that in my pie hole. A: I put this in my ass hole. B: I do not put that in my ass hole. A+B: you are wrong, I am right. C: yawn.
drewcareypnw
a year ago
@C.M.I: "I had one person explain to me that they wanted to reduce the suffering and death associated with their having food, clothing, and other consumables. " Except it doesn't really reduce any suffering and death. It just shifts it to animals they don't like.
georgmicrodong
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion