tuscl
Oasis Goodtime Emporium
6363 Peachtree Industrial Blvd Atlanta, GA 30360

Oasis busted again for alcohol.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, May 26, 2021 9:35 PM
[view link] unfortunately I'm not a subscriber.

23 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    From comments over the years on TUSCL the city has been trying to get this club shutdown - seems it's only a matter of time as they'll likely keep getting targeted
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    According to the article they were serving alcohol w/o a license - have they been busted for this before? Kinda surprised a popular club like this with a decent clientele would be operating this way.
  • bubba267
    3 years ago
    Dr Evil is probably more equipped to answer but I'm guessing the club felt it had the right to continue operating during whatever appeals and other legal maneuvers it had filed. The article only cited Doraville's position on the matter.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    Well, the story also quotes the club's layer several times. The article does say that they have lost their appeals and keep filing lawsuits which they appear to never win. From the police chief: “Since coming within the city limits of Doraville eight years ago, Oasis Goodtime Emporium has been in violation of city laws on every occasion that our officers have visited the establishment,” Doraville Police Chief Chuck Atkinson said in the release. “Time and again, Oasis has flagrantly violated our laws and multiple court rulings. We trust that this new evidence offers enough proof that Oasis has no basis to continue operating in disregard of the city’s court-tested laws.” The article says that at the end of 2019, a judge ordered Oasis to cease operations. However, the nightclub has openly ignored that injunction and filed a new lawsuit that claims Doraville is trying to run it out of business by targeting it with citations and fines. Oasis, represented by attorney Alan Begner, has mostly lost its multiple lawsuits against the city during the past eight years. His most recent lawsuit added to claims that Doraville pads its budget with a disproportionate amount of code enforcement and traffic fines. “Doraville’s actions (Tuesday) were needlessly aggressive, and are just the latest in a long line of attempts by the city to deny Oasis due process through force and intimidation,” Begner’s law firm said in an emailed statement. “All Oasis has ever asked for is a trial in DeKalb County Superior Court, and every maneuver by Doraville has been calculated to deny Oasis that opportunity.” There is a side article that says a Federal judge rules Doraville’s fines, fees were not illegal Doraville City Manager Chris Eldridge said it’s time for Oasis to close its doors for good. “We have documented countless examples of Oasis breaking our city’s laws, which is why the courts have repeatedly sided with the City since 2013,” he said in the release. “This property has become a nuisance to the city and the surrounding community, which includes multiple residential homes and an elementary school just a quarter of a mile down the road.” If they are really going to be shut down, they might as well stop trying to follow any rules and allow Follies style full contact dick out lap dances on the main floor. At least at the high tops.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    History says when a city has its eyes set on a club that it's only a matter of time - impressive the club has managed to stay on this long
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    From the article about Doraville using fines as a major revenue source (and the court ruling they were not out of line to the extent of being illegal). 6th highest rate of fine revenue nationally! "The lawsuit claimed that Doraville balanced its budget by relying too heavily on code enforcement citations and other fines. Fines and forfeitures accounted for 19% of Doraville’s $13.5 million budget during the 2017-2018 fiscal year, when the lawsuit was filed. For most cities with 5,000 residents or more, less than 1% of their budgets come from fees and fines. While ruling for the city, the judge nevertheless found the high percentage concerning,” the Institute for Justice said in the release, “and noted that Doraville was included in a recent report by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights as the sixth worst city nationwide in reliance on fines and fees.”
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    For those not familiar with Doraville, They have three enormous commuter corridors through the city (the 10-16 lane variety) and very heavily enforce traffic violations.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    ^ good to know - now us out-of-towners just need to know when we are in Doraville city-limits
  • Garfield84
    3 years ago
    Oasis hasn’t been good for a while and I can’t say how long it’s been since I’ve been there. I noticed the parking lot was empty before the news reported because I love close by. I knew something had happened. Just more evidence why I have said screw Atlanta strip clubs and saved my coins for international mongering (TJ, Colombia, Germany) .it’s just not worth it. Allure is a tip parade. Follies is gone that had any value. Blaze is ok . Article coming soon. I told you guys Atlanta sC scene is dying
  • joewebber
    3 years ago
    “Since coming within the city limits of Doraville eight years ago, Oasis Goodtime Emporium has been in violation of city laws on every occasion that our officers have visited the establishment,” very much like the Pink Pony, the city CHOSE to include the strip club in their city limits. for PP, it was Brookhaven. for Oasis, it was Doraville. it was the same homophobic self-righteous a-hole from Tennessee, Scott Bergholdt that authored the ordinance in both places. the cities WANT THE MONEY, they WANT THE BUSINESS, it's just some self-righteous extremists that get involved in city politics that become zealots on a quest to close any form of adult entertainment. Brookhaven even included PP as a source of revenue in their original city proposal. Doraville wants Oasis closed now because that property across the street is being developed for big business.
  • joewebber
    3 years ago
    Oh ...and one more thing...The sad by-product of a good economy is that when city governments are flush with cash, they like to attack the 'sin' businesses to demonstrate to their constituents how hard they are working to 'fight crime'. when the economy is in the tank, it's amazing how quickly those city officials kiss up to the strip clubs, etc, just to get some revenue flowing into their coffers. bunch of effing hypocrites.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Ignoring court rulings and violating liquor restrictions are about the worst ideas owners can have. I'm surprised the city hasn't padlocked the doors. Then I wouldn't be surprised if the owners used bolt cutters to reopen. It's crazy that this country will legalize every immigration violation, every sexual deviancy, every harmful addictive chemical, but nude women and sex are still prosecuted as the worst crimes ever.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Just phoned the club and was told they are not open but "hopefully" will be open tomorrow.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    Takes a while to get all that cash into the right pockets for another year.
  • MrBater2010
    3 years ago
    Keep in mind the Doraville City annexation vote was on Christmas eve midnight, forgot the year, and quoted that they had posted notices and no one showed up to oppose it. Keep in mind that place that was over on Buford Hwy was the first target. Yeah, That land value has got to be up there in value. I hate counties (Gwinnett) being in the real estate business. The owner is probably dragging them through the courts just so it will cost the taxpayers in the City. I wonder what the average court case cost the city. The liquor license was probably part of the plan. You don't think you can renew one when you've been denied the right to do business. Remember Sandy Springs had the fire marshal shutdown the clubs there. Then got the owner of one because he didn't pull permits fixing what the fire marshal didn’t like. The fines.. I can tell you that about 10 years ago serving on Grand Jury, You get to read the county budget. 30% of the budget for the CO comes from fines it is in the budget that way. Personally, I hope the owner finds away to dig a big fucking whole there. Are boarded up So the new busy have to look at that for a few years. Agreed: Counties and cities will do this when times are good (Lilburn,GA). Then when tax dollars are lost they try to roll it back. Sorry a little pissed, I miss the Old Follies.
  • MrBater2010
    3 years ago
    That should be the new city ordinances in Doraville not the annexation. Sorry
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    Knew they were going to try and close it with all that construction next door too. They just want this gone. Tbh as long as I know where Roxy, diamond, and Ariana are dancing next I’m fine.
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    I’m heartbroken! Oasis was my spot. Platinum is way too packed, new follies is boring, tattletales eh, pink pony 😴, Fannies hardly any extras. Where tf are we going to go. Atlanta strip club scene is dying lol.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    A couple of months ago I noticed a guy at one of the reserved tables constantly on his phone in the club. He went outside once or twice and returned. He headed out again right as I was leaving. He went to a nice pickup truck that had the same logo as one of the logos on the construction fence.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    Agree Wavvy. the only two places I try anymore are Oasis and Tattletale's. I don't mind paying a little more than at Follies for extras from a girl better looking than many at Follies. The downside with any of them is Follies was the only "sure thing" extras club around.
  • bubba267
    3 years ago
    Gold, not to split hairs but I don’t consider an emailed statement as “several quotes “ from their attorney. Best I can tell, Begner, didn’t comment and the author went with a previously issued statement on the topic.. I agree with most of your points but the most powerful, and I believe it supports what I was saying, is the City hasn’t faced the club in court where the facts and arguments could be heard by a judge. The City simply says something is so and expects the club to comply. Mr Bater is spot on.
  • doctorevil
    3 years ago
    I agree with Bubba. I don’t know the details of the dispute between Doraville and Oasis, but the “facts” cited in the AJC article seem odd. I know the city has been trying to close them for years, but I find it difficult to believe they have been operating without a liquor license for over a year. I also happened to spend some time OTC with an Oasis dancer the day after this happened. As you can imagine it was a hot topic on the Oasis dancer social media network. The word is the club does expect/hope to open again and is trying to get a court hearing. Why would they be doing that if they had already received an unambiguous final order to close? Of course, it could be BS and it is possible that they lost in court over a year ago, their liquor licenses was yanked, and they have been operating illegally for over a year. That just doesn’t seem likely to me. If can’t see the city letting the get away with that for one day, let alone a year.
  • doctorevil
    3 years ago
    I just drove by Oasis. It looked like business as usual. Plenty of cars in the parking lot and the door guy manning the metal detector. Didn't go in, so I don't know if they're serving alcohol, but my guess is they are.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion