Just saw on CNN: "Black Holes" and "Dark Matter" are racist

Sunday, May 2, 2021 5:15 PM
Short interview with a female AA astrophysicist. She says they are not black or dark but invisible. Claimed "White Science" named them that way to take advantage of and to perpetuate negative stereotypes of African Americans. I always thought it had to do with the absence of light. Glad they cleared this up for all of us.

18 comments

Sorry should have been in political discourse. Will repost there.
goldmongerATL
3 years ago
This isnt political. It's insanity
founder
3 years ago
Lol
TheeOSU
3 years ago
Jfc 🤦🏼‍♀️🙄
wiffle shwaffle
3 years ago
To move this away from “politics” or whatever I’ll disagree and say that it’s not insane, it just stupid. Dark matter was named by Fritz Zwicky, a Swiss astronomer who postulated that “dunkle materie” could explain the motion of galaxies in the Coma cluster. He simply referred to it as dark the amount of matter in the Coma cluster exceeded the amount he could account for by studying light. The idea of dark matter was largely ignored until Vera Rubin found that the rotation curves of galaxies required a halo of - guess what - some unseen diffuse matter around galaxies. In other words, dark matter. The nature of dark matter is unknown, but I believe the most popular theory is WIMPs, relatively massive particles that only interact via the weak nuclear force and gravity. First Zwicky would have been a valued tuscl poster. He liked to call people “spherical bastards” because they were bastards no matter which way you looked at them. He was also a genius who came up with the idea of supernovas in addition to dark matter. And did other work that escapes my memory. “Black hole” originated - I think - from work by John Wheeler. However, I think he got it from somebody else and that it was a comparison between collapsed stars and the black hole of Calcutta. I’m sure it’s traceable if you really care to look it up. I suspect the astronomer being interviewed mostly wanted to make a for herself and came up with something she thought would be interesting. CNN was irresponsible for letting her do that. But I’m sure she knew the history. An astronomy elective at a university probably covers that. Maybe not all of the personality stuff about Fritz Zwicky but I thought he seemed cool.
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
Here's the article link - https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/02/world/black-scientists-structural-racism-scn-wellness/index.html
wiffle shwaffle
3 years ago
One more thing. Maybe this is better but why the fucking obsession with politics? You people do realize that you will definitely be able to register your opinions - at the latest - in about two year. Maybe sooner depending on where you live. Probably won’t matter since most people live in areas where few races are competitive. But there may be some ballot initiative that most voter probably don’t understand to vote on. Isn’t that exciting! Too much thinking about politics will drive you INSANE. You’re probably overestimating the impact elections will have on your life anyway. You’re almost certainly overestimating your understanding of the issues. I’m not saying that I have a deep understanding of the issues. I’m just saying I know what I don’t understand and choose to focus on politics as little as possible in between elections. So come on you spherical bastards! Write about some crazy stripper stories. Laugh about them. Make fun of the other spherical bastards that post here. Laugh about THEM!! Hell, write about fucking dark matter if you want. There is more to life than politics. Oh yeah... since i am giving you advice that will help your mental health I’ll end with “your welcome”
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
I don't play the race card and this woman is clearly just looking for victimhood. But that said we do have a tendency to view light=good and dark=bad/evil.
chessmaster
3 years ago
If the scientists would have named it a whitehole the race-opportunists would have called that racist also - this is all just a shakedown
Papi_Chulo
3 years ago
Next thing you know they're gonna accuse white-people that buy a black car as it being a sign of "oppression"
Papi_Chulo
3 years ago
She sounds a little more sincere in the article. I saw it as a 30 second TV blurb on CNN.
goldmongerATL
3 years ago
"I don't play the race card and this woman is clearly just looking for victimhood." Last week nobody knew who Chanda Prescod-Weinstein was, this week 30 million people do. Goal achieved. Side note - the articles heading says "BLACK SCIENTIST" isn't that racist as well? Why does the scientists skin color matter when you're talking about potential racist scientific terms????
shailynn
3 years ago
I'm sure she meant extra melanin skinned scientists.
mike710
3 years ago
She out-melanins her white competition.
goldmongerATL
3 years ago
It's about the concept of darkness or blackness having pejorative or fear ridden connotations.
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
I love it when my hole gets blacked! Ooooh Gaaaaaa!
DesertScab
3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIWHMb3JxmE
Muddy
3 years ago
There were people who believed this insane stuff before (e.g. that the term 'dark matter' is racist and other such bunk, etc.), but the difference is no reputable mainstream outlet would have given them the time of day. They would have been forced to voice their incoherent and angry ramblings on a street corner with a megaphone or in some homemade campus newspaper photocopied at a Kinko's and distributed out at said street corner, only to then be discarded en masse two seconds after people had a chance to glance at it. Now you have CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post and others making this the lead story every day. This can't be an accident. They have calculated racial obsession to be good for their bottom line and their interests. A lot of minorities though are actually getting tired of it. https://reason.com/2021/03/03/woke-excess-democratic-party-trump-political-correctness/ This stuff is being pushed entirely by white progressives and black liberal elites. Perhaps there will be a massive backlash against it. Problem is, elite media likely wouldn't care and would probably just keep pushing it. Then maybe shit gets real if they actually do go forward with reparations.
LapHunt
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion