Do you all think travel will recover anytime soon?

Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:45 AM
Just wondering what people's thoughts/speculations are about travel recovering and when this will happen.

44 comments

I'm traveling right now and getting ready to catch a flight home. I really haven't stopped traveling for work. However, I'm in a small minority. I think travel, as it was before Covid, will be a ways off. A lot of businesses have cut off travel for the rest of the year. Just by looking at people you see in your life, I'm sure you can see individual attitudes about the risks are a mixed bag. So, a lot of people that are afraid of the virus won't even think about traveling until this completely blows over. Also, a lot of people will be financially strapped for some time after the economy starts rolling again. Bottom line. Travel is ticking up slowly but it's going to probably be a few years of gradual increases before it is back to pre-Covid levels.
mike710
4 years ago
I was on a Southwest flight last week. 45 people on a plane that has an occupancy of 172. It's gonna be a while but it will happen. The media needs to focus on something else and stop scaring people.
Warrior15
4 years ago
I think travel will start to recover after a successful therapy is found or a vaccine but it’s going to be a while.
twentyfive
4 years ago
===> "Bottom line. Travel is ticking up slowly but it's going to probably be a few years of gradual increases before it is back to pre-Covid levels." This IMHO. I am traveling right now, but it's my first trip since the lockdowns started. It will slowly come back. Leisure travel for sure and eventually business travel as well. Notwithstanding the silly articles saying that work travel will change forever because our work behaviors have changed, I think that more and more people are discovering the limitations and challenges of working remotely.
rickdugan
4 years ago
I think it will take a few years to return to normal levels. Regional travel within driving distance will be the first type to recover followed by domestic air travel and then finally international air travel. Regional travel should be back to normal within 6 months after a vaccine becomes widely available. This sector of travel will likely even see an increase above pre-covid levels as people opt to stay closer to home for their vacations for a while. Domestic air travel will likely take 1-2 years after a vaccine to return to normal. A lot of people aren't going to fully trust the effectiveness of the vaccine until we go a year or two without major outbreaks. How many airlines survive the downturn and how fares adjust will also play a role. International air travel will likely take 3-4 years as countries keep some travel restrictions in place out of fear of another wave. Tourist economy countries are likely to ease their restrictions sooner than others. The one type of travel that may never recover is the cruise industry. I think they will get back in operation within the next year but several cruise lines will be bankrupt before long. I don't see them getting even 50% of their previous level of customers within even a generation as too many people will be scared off by memories of the horror stories of people being trapped on board during the initial phase of the outbreak.
whodey
4 years ago
Regardless of who wins in November, you will see things return to normal very quickly. Travel, pro and college sports, kids back in school, restaurants fully open, strip clubs... everything. The only reason this shut-down is lasting so long is that Democrats want people to be broke and unhappy when they vote in November. They may or may not convince people it's all Trump's fault, but either way there will be no more reason to keep us locked down.
misterorange
4 years ago
International travel, which is one of my favorite hobbies, will recover only when the pandemic is under control. The European Union has banned Americans because America has the worst outbreak. Trump's lack of leadership , quack cures and denial of science have killed 160,000 Americans. Fortunately, President Biden will listen to scientists and medical experts, and will defeat the coronavirus.
jackslash
4 years ago
Travel is not going to recover, the only people that are going to be traveling are people on vacation. Business travel is done, shift to zoom, tele conference
Salty.Nutz
4 years ago
The return of travel - especially air travel - will depend upon the development of an effective vaccine or a treatment for the virus. It appears business air travel may remain sparse until 2021. Businesses will re-evaluate the need for significant travel once the virus is under control. Obviously some folks must travel - and they will resume their travel in 2021. Personal air travel may fall into two categories (in my view) - tourism and visiting relatives/friends. I think tourism will take longer to recover -possibly another year or more. In my view, there is a pent up demand to travel to see loved ones. I think that type of travel will increase sooner - possibly late 2020 (depending on vaccine/treatments) or early 2021. I don’t see much issue with driving to states nearby. As it seems things are getting under control in the northeast. I’ve driven to several states during the past 3 months, and I felt safe. I wore a mask when I was out, and maintained social distance.
Cashman1234
4 years ago
Yeah, I don’t have high hopes either with regards to traveling for the next...what...1-3 years at minimum? It’s one of the reasons I settled in the area I did and just found a cheers bar as a home club. Its really weird actually having regulars but at at least in Colorado they are more easy going, and there’s not much pressure for OTC or anything. If I was still in Texas for any reason, I think I’d just do something else and only come in 1-2x a month. Lack of out-of-towners seems like it will be a living hell for a while. 😐
nicespice
4 years ago
===> "The return of travel - especially air travel - will depend upon the development of an effective vaccine or a treatment for the virus." Several people have said this and I disagree. IMHO vaccine or not, people will eventually return to the air. A vaccine is no panacea, especially as widespread adoption will be an uphill battle to say the least. Over time people will continue to be less afraid of this thing - many already are.
rickdugan
4 years ago
I don't think anything will give til the viruses are under control. Both the coronavirus and the trump virus
IceyLoco
4 years ago
Lack of out-of-towners seems like it will be a living hell for a while. 😐 ^ yup. I'm at a cheers bar too at this point and it has been very hard to adjust my ways as I've been very out of towner dependent before.
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
I think it'll be a good while. Maybe a season or so after a vaccine is available and mostly accepted.
gSteph
4 years ago
Travel is easy. All the crap I'd have to do when I come back from travel not so much.
wallanon
4 years ago
Lots of people in that boat of travel paperwork with companies who pay them monies.
wallanon
4 years ago
The challenge of air travel domestically is not with getting on a plane, (only a low intellect fraidy cat would worry about that), the challenge is what’s waiting on the other end. What’s open? What can you do? And worst of all what happens if the fear mongers change the rules while you’re half-way through your trip? The last point is even more of a concern for international travel. I’ve capitulated somewhat waiting for what I want to open up and just bought tickets yesterday for what’s available. A quick trip to Mexico City which I’ll make for sure and a trip next month to Cambodia. That one is more iffy but all tickets right now are fully refundable so there’s no gamble at the moment. @nicespice. I’m holding out high hopes that they will not only hold the Tigtigan Terakan Keng Dalan Festival in late October but that they will let me in the country by then. I’d hate to miss it and it should be extra big and special this year if they can make it happen (come on Russian vaccine). Want to take a trip to the Motherland to eat, drink and party like it’s the 1920’s all over again?
BabyDoc
4 years ago
Now that people have been forced to learn Zoom, it is both easier and more economical. Business travel will never full recover. I agree with Doc. The airplane isn't the the actual problem. It's what's available on the far end and the risk of getting marooned somewhere.
mjx01
4 years ago
I think flying, like the rest of life, will mostly get back to normal once Covid is not as big an issue - it's kinda useless to be making predictions/extrapolations at the current moment - pretty-much everyone wants to get back to normal pre-Covid life; I don't see people wanting to travel any less than they did pre-Covid if Covid is no longer a big issue - plus there is the pent-up demand from those that got their 2020 travel plans derailed, and those that had been putting off trips even pre-Covid - then there is also all the events/tradeshows, etc that were cancelled that may get ramped up sooner than later once it's considered safe to do so - I don't think it would take that long for flights to be fairly near to pre-Covid levels although there will be a bit of a ramp-up thru several months. A day or two ago I heard that flying for the typically busy month of July was down by about 2/3 from the same time last year; so it seems it's increased a bit from April when I think it' was down 90%+ if I remember correctly.
Papi_Chulo
4 years ago
Never been to the Philippines. I do have a visa which is still current with China, but due to recent events and tension between them and the US...probably not the best idea to even try. This Tigtigan Terakan Keng Dalan Festival (which I had to copy/paste because screw trying to type that all) may be a tempting alternative lmao
nicespice
4 years ago
@nicespice Well currently the Philippines is closed but where there’s a will there’s a way. All I have to do right now to get a long term visa and entry into the country is to marry a Filipina (with a Philippine passport). I could do that and then adopt you to get you in too. I’m not at that point yet but sometimes extraordinary times require extraordinary measures.
BabyDoc
4 years ago
bbb23, were you just referring to air travel, or were you including freeway interstate travel. Either way, a certain degree of return to normal levels depends on how hard nosed certain states are on enforcing quarantines on out of state visitors. Several prior posts have addressed factors for air travel to return to pre-Covid levels. Several industry insiders (those who work for the airlines) estimate 2 to 5 years, with international travel taking the longest to return to "normal".
minnow
4 years ago
Road trips seem trendy right now. Flight won't recover for a while
JamesSD
4 years ago
Idk I know some fucktards that want this bs recession to keep going. But I am back near one of the most mentally deficient cities in america. Wish these people would get their act right. Fucking zoo animals with these fake protests which are also fucking up biz and money flow.
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
The locals at the one spot I tried that I dont ducking hate are ok tho mostly. The shitheads I haven't attacked yet somehow yay anxiety meds. I just highly prefer travelers. I wanna make stupidass fast money again rather than mediocre...
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
Sounds like you are in Portland blahblah. Sorry for your loss. I'm seriously thinking about going to FLA to an open area to release my pent up strip club energy.
mike710
4 years ago
👆🤔 TAMPA 🤷🏻‍♀️😏
SerenitySinn
4 years ago
$250 roundtrip from California next weekend. Thinking hard about it.
mike710
4 years ago
👍 Born and lived awhile in San Bernardino!!! THINKING HARD OR GETTING HARD ABOUT IT😬
SerenitySinn
4 years ago
@SerenitySinn what is Tampa like if it’s just locals tho? Tampa seemed like such a “travel-centric” city. And ah Portland, the city where if you say you’re from “Texas”, then they glare at you, but if you say “Austin” then suddenly you’re cool. Bunch of dorks. But aside from that, at least they were the nicest customer group I’ve ever met:
nicespice
4 years ago
@Serentity. I have traveled to Tampa a lot just to SC. Been a while since I found some good places a 1 hour flight from me in AZ. I need some miles though to reach my status level so a cheap flight to Tampa is sounding good.
mike710
4 years ago
@nice We’ve had some people from Orlando,Miami, Georgia,Texas, few from all over?? It’s been hit or miss?? Liquor Clubs are busiest right now, Scores,Dollhouse. Nude Clubs have on/off days n nights, Mons,2001,Vu are just ok?? Few black clubs are PACKED!! But it’s crazy with girls, from Miami and all over. Cubans are flooding all the clubs. We are turning away 5-15 a day trying to get in!!! @mike 👍 Tampa is waiting😜 Plenty of places to go from here to Pasco,Pinellas
SerenitySinn
4 years ago
These customers aren't bad other than a REAL shithead here and there, but this just isn't my style in so many ways. I will just have to deal and adjust accordingly for now lol. It would help if the only club I tried in this area that I don't hate had chicks that minded their biz and didn't have it out for me. I just had to like some tiny ass dive lol. Stars Bridgeport/Gold Club sucked. Tried some other dives besides where I landed at and they were no bueno as well.
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
I am scared to drive to Beaverton cuz the motherfucking ticket cameras tho I have a feeling the better clientele might be on that side of town LOL.
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
^ I thought the courts ruled that ticket cameras were not allowed, here in Florida they lost and were forced to be taken offline.
twentyfive
4 years ago
I miss the photo radar speeding ticket system they used to have on Arizona highways.
winex
4 years ago
Ugh if Minneapolis wasnt so crazy w the news lately I'd just try to go back there. I think the scene there was a lot better than pdx imo
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
^ ugh but local Texans
nicespice
4 years ago
LOL
nicespice
4 years ago
I see what u mean by pdx they dont objectify enough for $$$$ fuck this. I just wanna get my platinum blonde big titty shaking ass money not this let's connect on a personal level bullshit and video poker fuck video poker
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
Every time I try and do this regulars thing I at the club I just wanna strangle them to death. Regulars are not so bad on campsites. Get on every sunday at 11 am so and so gives u some money for his humiliation fetish. No bullshit just money
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
kick em in da balls blah. Just be nice to the camp host or you may not get any fire wood
MackTruck
4 years ago
😂🤷🏼‍♀️ autocorrect
blahblahblah23
4 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion